Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

APR/MAY Challenge - Quotes!

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges
out2lunch
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Re: APR/MAY Challenge - Quotes!

Post by out2lunch »

Is it ok to submit something that I've done in the past, or does it have to be a new project?
Current Project: Super Metroid villain #3: Crocomire

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

out2lunch wrote:Is it ok to submit something that I've done in the past, or does it have to be a new project?
I would prefer a new project, but if you have something suitable (and maybe haven't shown it before!) then please do enter it :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

kryssiecat
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by kryssiecat »

So I'm a little caught up on the wording "design" the pattern yourself. I made something but want to be sure it qualifies. I found the sprite online and put it into KG Chart myself (it went surprisingly well). Then I took my alphabet book and picked out which fonts to use. Then plotted the sprites and words out and then picked a border I found on pinterest. So I designed the overall piece but simply by picking and choosing from other sources.

Yay or nay?
Mother of Link Liam L.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

I'd say yes. You came up with the idea. Put it all together. Many of us often use Sprites and alphabets etc.

Using someone else's design is more like buying a chart off the Internet or finding a chart on Google.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

kryssiecat
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by kryssiecat »

OK, here goes! I was trying to make a Tiny Toons NES pattern without much lucky (bad quality picture) so I figured I could do a simple entry with a quote about pluck and a Plucky duck sprite. I found this quote and also read a bit about the man who it originated from. He was JFK's press secretary and one of the managers for Robert F. Kennedy's presidential campaign. He was an investigative journalist who did some major stories in the middle east during the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. He also made headlines with his theory that it was U.S. Navy friendly fire that shot down TWA Flight 800 in 1996. He was denied being able to present exonerating evidence in his testimony at the trial and the judge told him he was not allowed to speak on that specific matter in the court. Then he moved to France when W Bush became president because he said he would if Bush won. He died in 2004. Interesting man with an interesting life full of tragedy and intrigue.

Et voila.
Attachments
plucky cross stich.jpg
plucky cross stich.jpg (211.56 KiB) Viewed 19270 times
Mother of Link Liam L.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

QueenBex wrote:I'd say yes. You came up with the idea. Put it all together. Many of us often use Sprites and alphabets etc.

Using someone else's design is more like buying a chart off the Internet or finding a chart on Google.
Yep, this. It's more about thinking of an idea and putting bits together to make it, rather than doing something that has already been put together, if you see what I mean. Your Plucky entry is great, by the way!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

kryssiecat
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by kryssiecat »

blackmageheart wrote: Yep, this. It's more about thinking of an idea and putting bits together to make it, rather than doing something that has already been put together, if you see what I mean. Your Plucky entry is great, by the way!
:D Thank you! I might try for another entry. Now I'm hearing quotes everywhere I want to turn into an entry.
Mother of Link Liam L.

Stitchmond
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Stitchmond »

tyrannorus wrote:This challenge had perfect timing because I had this idea bouncing around for a while and this finally gave me the motivation to do it. It's the Villager with a quote that Benjamin Franklin asked himself every morning. I love it because it inspires you to look for opportunities to help other people out like the Villager does the townsfolk.
Oh man I love your Villager design!
stitchmond.etsy.com

tyrannorus
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by tyrannorus »

Stitchmond wrote:
tyrannorus wrote:This challenge had perfect timing because I had this idea bouncing around for a while and this finally gave me the motivation to do it. It's the Villager with a quote that Benjamin Franklin asked himself every morning. I love it because it inspires you to look for opportunities to help other people out like the Villager does the townsfolk.
Oh man I love your Villager design!
Thanks! I've been trying to get better at designing patterns and your work has definitely been some inspiration!

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

I couldn't get mine done in time. Ah well, there's always another challenge.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC