Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Donkey Kong Birthday Cake

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Donkey Kong Birthday Cake

Post by TigerLily »

For my fiance's birthday, I wanted to make a special cake. For a while now I have planned on making it video game themed, and a few months ago I finally decided on making it based on both of our favourite game: Donkey Kong Country 2. I looked up some ideas online for a bit of inspiration and I found an idea that I really liked from Nerdy Nummies, so I borrowed it a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsudvd4YD6Y

Other people have made similar cakes, but they either made edible DK's or used store bought figures. I combined my hobbies of baking and crochet to make this! Because it’s based on DKC2, I crocheted Diddy and Dixie. I also added Donkey just as an extra present. These were the cake decorations as well as his actual presents to keep after we had the cake. I am very happy with how it all turned out. (Mostly because he is happy with how it turned out.)

It's a chocolate chip cake with chocolate frosting surrounded by Kit Kats and topped with marshmallowy bananas.

I put the individual pictures of Diddy, Dixie and Donkey in 'spoilers' just so this post wouldn't be a mile long. :)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

no_need
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: Donkey Kong Birthday Cake

Post by no_need »

You did a great job - you have a very lucky fiance!
Current projects: 'Heroes' sketch, experiments with surface embroidery.

"We have to build the republic of heaven where we are, because for us there is no elsewhere."
--Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by rockinwithrammstein »

That is so stinking cute! I wish I could crochet half as good as you :clapping:
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Mega Peacock (page 3 of 40)
Sophie's Universe

Visit my blog http://vmfwbojtte.blogspot.com :)

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Wow, those are incredible!

Also, what kind of banana candies are those (both on top and at the base)? I've never seen them before.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by TigerLily »

Thanks everyone!

RMDC- The candies I used are from pack of sweets called 'Shrimps and Bananas' (or Bananas and Shrimps, I can't remember the order). I wanted to use banana Runts, but since I live in Ireland, they aren't as commonly found. The large ones on the base of the cake were brought over from London for me by a friend from one of those old-timey sweet shops. Both are kind of like a marshmallow type of candy. A bit stiffer than marshmallows but still quite soft.

I think they actually came out better than if I had used Runts to be honest. And they were nice and cheap too. They are only about 40 cents a pack an we bought 4 or 5 packs. (Had a lot of shrimps leftover. haha)

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

That looks delicious! It's been a very long time since I've had banana lollies! Quick question, did you design the DK crochet plushies yourself or did you find the patterns somewhere? I'd love to make a Donkey Kong for my brother for Christmas!
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

WOW! That is an amazing cake. Great job!

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by TigerLily »

Thanks for all th kind words.

I came up with the pattern for the dolls myself. It ended up being somewhat awkward. I will see if I can type out what I did and if it isn't too confusing share it.