Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Craft Wishlists!

Trade with other sprite stitch members...
arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Craft Wishlists!

Post by arkani »

GOOGLE DOC:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

For making your lists, checking them twice, deciding you'd rather be naughty, etc. :)

So, those of you who saw/have been chatting in the Who Scarves thread know what this is about. For everyone else, we were talking about making our own Fourth Doctor/Tom Baker scarves, and being generally disappointed in our options of yarn.

I had an idea, that since it's hard to find stuff here in Australia - things like lots of the brands of wool/yarn the US/UK get, cones of DMC floss, colored aida,metallic threads (DMC Diamant, lookin' at you), etc, my idea was that if we could pool our resources, maybe getting these things wouldn't cost upwards of an arm and a leg to ship it over, as the cost would be split between us, and it's pretty cheap to send stuff to each other interstate.

I was thinking mainly for online ordering - but Rhaben had the cool thought of stuffing a flate rate box,and sending it off labeled as a gift to avoid customs fees, and then being paid in advance/reimbursed through paypal.

..Thinking about it, though i'm uncertain of the shipping from the US to other countries that aren't Aus, if it's super expensive, this could work for you guys too - shop as a group and divide it up and send it out domestically... or have a magical helper who sends you nice things in a flat rate box. ;)

This could all easily work both ways, too! To and from the US!

Opinions? People wanting to join in as a helper monkey? People wanting to pool cash and get awesome stuff?
Last edited by arkani on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol
Attempting Diamond Painting
Making like three crochet blankets at once #nolife
slowly amassing floss for the old-style Epic Pokemon

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Re: Craft Wishlists!

Post by lcockitt »

This was something I was thinking about when I was buying aluminium scales for my wristwarmers - it cost next to nothing to buy them in Canada, but shipping to the UK was crazy expensive - and the cheap delivery option was 6-8 weeks!

Logistically it could be tricky, but I think it could be a great plan, and am interested in seeing how it develops. Let me know if I can be of any use.
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

How about putting in a list to a knowledgeable American/Canadian/English friend who knows where to look for these things? We could Paypal them over the money for whatever we want and have it all sent to an Aussie volunteer who would then separate it all and send it out? Might be a little tricky, but it could work :)
Either way, I'm in! I'm still surprised at just how limited we are for supplies here in Australia!
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

I'm an avid shopper and coupon fiend, so if you need an American helper monkey, I'm in :)

heh... helper..funky... monkey...

acidMiasma
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by acidMiasma »

funkymonkey wrote:heh... helper..funky... monkey...
I just woke my boyfriend laughing at that.

I will offer any help I can give, though truthfully I usually have a heck of a time finding supplies as it is. Maybe I'll just make a wish.. :grin:
Image:: Mia
:: This statement is false.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

I'm happy to help out and send stuff from the UK. I have a paypal too.

Has anyone got any requests of things they want/need yet?
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by arkani »

QueenBex wrote:I'm happy to help out and send stuff from the UK. I have a paypal too.

Has anyone got any requests of things they want/need yet?
I'd give my imaginary firstborn to get my hands on some of that Diamant metallic. Having said that, if any other aussies want it/other UK stuff, it's probably better to wait until we've got a bit of a list to make shipping less awful.
I'm thinking of making a google doc for people to put their region/wishlist/whether they're willing to go shopping for others/username, then linking it in the first post. That way we can all see who wants what (good for the swaps, too!) and for combining wants. Plus it means that personal info can get run through the PM system, which is probably safer than google docs!
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Thinking on the shipping costs, sending out a bunch of stuff at once is a good idea.

I'm not sure what you mean by the google docs, but as countless questionnaires will tell you, I am a visual person, so i'll probably understand when I see it.

As for Diamant, my local craft store has a few in store I believe, unless i'm thinking of something else entirely, so pm me with any particulars, I need to go in tomorrow. And i'm having a parcel posting party next week which i'm sure my local post office will enjoy. :)
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by arkani »

QueenBex wrote:Thinking on the shipping costs, sending out a bunch of stuff at once is a good idea.

I'm not sure what you mean by the google docs, but as countless questionnaires will tell you, I am a visual person, so i'll probably understand when I see it.

As for Diamant, my local craft store has a few in store I believe, unless i'm thinking of something else entirely, so pm me with any particulars, I need to go in tomorrow. And i'm having a parcel posting party next week which i'm sure my local post office will enjoy. :)
That's really generous, QueenBex - i'm flat broke until after christmas, though. :( Diamant is that metallic floss on a spool, with (apparently) a silicon coating to make it not a pain in the rear to use.
Ooh, parcel party at the Post office! *breaks out party hats, cannon*
Working on:

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

What with Christmas and illness, the party was postponed and now its more like several little parties!

No worries about cost, the first lot is on me :) (like a very odd round at a pub)