Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Metroid Quilt

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
LucyInTheSky
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Metroid Quilt

Post by LucyInTheSky »

Hi -

This is my first post on the site. I came across y'all when I was looking for the Zelda start screen to make a cross stitch out of. And you guys already had a pattern made! I wanted to share this quilt. I made it for my boyfriend for Xmas. It took me about 14 months. I used a picture of the game and zoomed in and went pixel by pixel to design it on graph paper. After my boyfriend received it, he told me for future ones, he can use PhotoShop and the computer to make the design part much easier.

The squares are 1" finished. The quilt is about 5.5' x 6.5'. I made the whole thing in secret and he had no clue. It was pretty cool watching him freak out when he opened it. He runs a Metroid website, so the quilt was on the newsfeed page for awhile too.

(And this is my first time uploading pictures so I hope these show up :D )
Attachments
Metroid (1) Small.JPG
Metroid (1) Small.JPG (61.79 KiB) Viewed 10943 times
Metroid (3) Sm.JPG
Metroid (3) Sm.JPG (56.08 KiB) Viewed 10091 times
Metroid (10) Sm.JPG
Metroid (10) Sm.JPG (61.34 KiB) Viewed 10085 times
Check out my blog: GorramQuilts.com

dvdwojnar
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Re: Metroid Quilt

Post by dvdwojnar »

Oh wow! This is amazing. I can sympathize with your boyfriend in freaking out; I certainly would have.
So, great job, and I can't wait to see if you come up with anything else (even if its another 14 months :P ).

Caiella
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Caiella »

:shock: Oh. My. God. Wow. That's just... amazing. Can't wait to see what else you come up with!!

Stardrifter
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Stardrifter »

holy crap that is amazing. i would have freaked out too, lol!

i wish i could quilt (maybe i will learn now that i've seen so many awesome quilts making me want to)

that's some amazing work right there. wow. =D

LucyInTheSky
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by LucyInTheSky »

Thank you! I really enjoyed working on it. Up next is this (wow, that's tiny). Each boss is going to be about 2 ft square, quilt going to be about 6.25' x 6.25'. And then theoretically, matching quilts for MM 3-6, 9-10, and 1 (1 being last since it's not a nice grid). And a Zelda cross stitch. And Jesse has claimed all of them.
Attachments
mm2_pattern.png
mm2_pattern.png (4.9 KiB) Viewed 10054 times

jazzhands
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by jazzhands »

Wow, that is awesome! Was this your first quilt? Did you do it by hand or machine?

I look forward to seeing your Megaman quilts, too. :)

LucyInTheSky
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by LucyInTheSky »

jazzhands wrote:Wow, that is awesome! Was this your first quilt? Did you do it by hand or machine?
Not my first quilt. Probably #10 for finished quilts (I can't count high enough for how many quilt tops I have that just need backings). This was my biggest one.

I did it with my machine. I do some hand work but machine is just sooooooo much faster. For the quilting (the black thread pattern on the quilt top, the swirls), I did it over Thanksgiving weekend because Jesse was out of town and I had to leave it out. I finished in about 7 hours, which is fast for a quilt. By hand, that would've been months (IF I could focus long enough to finish it).

Asinine
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Asinine »

I received a couple quilts from my aunt; one as a folds-into-a-pillow when I was around 12, and one for our wedding present. Oh how I wish she was as cool as you and made video game ones so it wouldn't just sit in the closet (since we don't have a spare bed to display it on). :(

Although, she is a FANTASTIC quilter. Don't think I'm dissing my aunt! :wiz
I'm too poor to pwn, so I r3nt.

EdzMasterChief
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by EdzMasterChief »

Holy Smokes!
This is amazing! Very nice quilt. :good:

psi169
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by psi169 »

Very nice. Not only is it spot on, but the colors and patterns of the cloth used in the pixels are very pretty. Good luck on future quilts!