Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Perler sprites from a first timer.

JusticeDude
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Perler sprites from a first timer.

Post by JusticeDude »

Hi guys. I found this site a while ago and loved it! Recently I got the urge to start making stuff, and with my love of pixelated goodness, I decided to start with some Perler Bead creations. Here is what I have made so far.

First is my favorite: Firebrand of Gargoyle's Quest

Here's Lyle from the amazing indy game Lyle in Cube Sector with the main character from Crystalis

A set of Mario 2 characters. I'll make Luigi and Toad as soon as I get more of the right color beads.

Galaga! I plan on making a red captured fighter in the future.

I'm sure Dig Dug will be met with much approval!

Anyway, I had a lot of fun making these and plan on making lots more in the future, and maybe opening an Etsy store!

Tell me what you think!

Rikard
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Re: Perler sprites from a first timer.

Post by Rikard »

I really like those. I esp like the Mario 2 ones. Good job!
Perfection is the enemy of creativity...

Amanda
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Amanda »

Thanks to all of you fine folks I also purchased a bucket of beads and some Perler grids...I'm trying to get my hubby to make something on there with me...we'll see!
"You can buy everything but love, friendship, and experience points." - Earthbound

"Impossible is just a word to let people feel good about themselves when they quit." - Vyse, Skies of Arcadia

obesolete
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by obesolete »

the bug must be going around!

i just picked up a bunch myself for something different to try.
here's my test pieces that i came up with...

why is it that when i find a new hobby i have to go WAAAAAAAY overboard? i bought 2 buckets of pyssla beads at ikea and there must be about 10k beads in it... i spent all day sorting and only got half way through one bucket... D=

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28089538@N03/2783345641/
Closet Monsters - Video game and custom soft toys http://obesolete.etsy.com

Icedevimon13
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Icedevimon13 »

The first bucket I bought was one of the 22k ones. It's a huge pain to sort, but the colors are fun. I also bought a glow in the dark bucket, so that's what I've been using. Here's a result.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/ ... G_0649.jpg

Sorry TC we all jacked your thread, I guess this has become the official perler newbie thread xD :grin:
Image Image

benjibot
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by benjibot »

I grabbed a bucket a few weeks ago. It was one of the 6000 bead buckets on account of a.) it was the largest collection available at the local Jo-Ann's and b.) I wasn't really aware of jut how many danged colors these things came in.

I'm still in the process of sorting and have come to the realization I probably can't make squat with this set. It just doesn't come with enough of any particular color.
Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy

Icedevimon13
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Icedevimon13 »

What colors did it come with? Was it a mix of all the colors or a specific mix, like red, blue, white, ect.. NES Zelda sprites are really simple to make, each sprite only has about three colors. Same with NES Mario, usually only three colors on these characters, sometimes two when dealing with items. Know this off hand from having to do a podcast for art class, so naturally I chose video game art xD The most important is the peg boards though, the ones that come in buckets are too small to make most sprites.
Image Image

benjibot
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by benjibot »

Oh sure, I bet I could come up with something from this set, but after making one little thing from Contra I ran through all of my red beads. Looking forward to ordering individual colors once I've figured out what I want to make.

I like that Firebrand an awful lot. One of my friends was absolutely in love with the first game in that series on the original Game Boy. Man, I'd love to find a copy of the NES game though. It came out pretty later, if I remember correctly, and be a bear to get a hold of a copy.
Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy

Icedevimon13
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Icedevimon13 »

*ignore this mwaha!*
Last edited by Icedevimon13 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

poetinme
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by poetinme »

those are all great! i'm afraid to start making them..i remember having those when i was younger...there were rainbows and hearts EVERYWHERE in my parents house...i had quite an obsession..now that I'm also a gamer..i'm afraid it will be worse.... :grin: