Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Amigurumi Basics: An Introductory Guide (Includes Pattern)

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
Laialda
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Amigurumi Basics: An Introductory Guide (Includes Pattern)

Post by Laialda »

Ally wrote:I think it's just that I'm concentrating too hard on my technique! Although I do find it's worse when I'm trying to increase. I was trying to make a Mario mushroom, after increasing I was meant to have 60 sts, and for some reason I had 48! I was so sure I had been counting right too!
It's very likely that's what's happening. Since you're making a Mario Mushroom I'm going to assume you're working in the round, yeah? Stitch markers can really be your best friend the first few times you work in the round even if you just place one at the start so you know where the circle ends.

Getting used to increases, especially dramatic ones like those in a Mario Mushroom, is a bit of learning curve until you get used to/confident with the concept. I can't tell you how many rows I've undone thanks to missing an increase or two. :banghead: My best advice when working with increase heavy rows is to mark the beginning of the row either with a stitch marker or even a bit of different colored yarn so you know where you started, and then double check your stitch count after every few stitches to make sure you're on track. It will add time to your project but it's not a race, :nod and it should help whatever stitch you're doing become more natural as you can't stress about it quite so much as you have to start and stop your work often, forcing you to get comfortable with it.

Without watching you in person I'm afraid that's the best help I can offer, hope it helps! :)
I reject your reality and submit my own! - Mythbusters
Laialda's Etsy Shop: Craftigurumi
My gallery over on DeviantArt

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

Thank you very much for your advice! I'll give the stitch markers a go and let you know how I went!
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

Turned out I was doing it all wrong (don't ask how, I'm not entirely sure but it was very different to what they were doing in the youtube tutorials!) but I think I'm OK now, though. Thanks for your help Laialda :)
CURRENT PROJECTS:

rogueprincess20
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rogueprincess20 »

Laialda wrote: Have you tried using stitch markers? It can really help when you're learning (or even working on a complex piece) to help aide you in keeping track of the pattern.
This times 1000. Stitch markers are my savior whenever I crochet. If you dont feel like running out and buying some I have found bobby pins work in a pinch.
Current Projects: LTTP Light World

Laialda
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Laialda »

Ally wrote:Turned out I was doing it all wrong (don't ask how, I'm not entirely sure but it was very different to what they were doing in the youtube tutorials!) but I think I'm OK now, though. Thanks for your help Laialda :)
Oh good! And just remember, the main things is that you figured out what was wrong so that you can now make the things you like. :) You are very welcome! I'm more than happy to help any time I can and if it's something you need quick feedback on then just hit me up with a pm. The alert goes straight to an e-mail on my phone so your question won't be sitting unanswered for long. :nod
rogueprincess20 wrote:I have found bobby pins work in a pinch.
Bobby pins? O.o Not a bad idea, but I think I'd go crazy with the long bit of metal getting in my way, lol. Suppose it wouldn't be too bad for like clothing or something big though. I just place a bit of different color yarn under the stitch if none of mine are floating around my bag when I need one. :grin:

rogueprincess20
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by rogueprincess20 »

Yea the bobby pins can get a bit fiddly if you use a lot on a small project like the amigurumi. I usually only use one to mark the beginning of the round so I can find it again lol.

Really nice guide and patterns BTW.
Current Projects: LTTP Light World

Laialda
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Laialda »

rogueprincess20 wrote:Yea the bobby pins can get a bit fiddly if you use a lot on a small project like the amigurumi. I usually only use one to mark the beginning of the round so I can find it again lol.

Really nice guide and patterns BTW.
I tend to use stitch markers only on new projects/patterns now that way I can stop and makes about what I've done. Otherwise I do fine without bothering with one. :)

And thank you! I spent a lot of time making the type of guide I thought people would enjoy and be able to understand so it's good to hear that people like it. I worried about that a lot, lol. Thankfully the Yoshi Egg was the popular vote for what people wanted in a pattern and I made it up in about...2 hours? I'd have to ask tnitnetny. I made it up during one of our crafting sessions. :grin:

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

OK, another two questions! What sort of needles are best when sewing all the amigurumi pieces together, and is it best to use yarn or thread? I've just made a Luma and I've made the limbs to attach, but I've got no idea which needles would be best. I'm going to my local craft store on Tuesday so I can get whatever you recommend. Thanks in advance!
CURRENT PROJECTS:

Laialda
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Laialda »

Ally wrote:OK, another two questions! What sort of needles are best when sewing all the amigurumi pieces together, and is it best to use yarn or thread? I've just made a Luma and I've made the limbs to attach, but I've got no idea which needles would be best. I'm going to my local craft store on Tuesday so I can get whatever you recommend. Thanks in advance!
Well it's a bit past Tuesday (Sorry! So very Sorry! :cray: ) but hopefully this will still be helpful to you if you haven't gone yet. The needles you want are steel yarn needles. At the main crafting stores (Micheal's, Jo-Ann's, etc) they are usually located with the embroidery needles and accessories. I think I bought a 4 pack for somewhere around $5. I love them and highly recommend them. Fairly sure they're on my list of recommended supplies a few posts back, oh! and if they're different sizes, I suggest the 16 over the 13. Slightly bigger and it's easier to use with all types of yarn. :)

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

Don't worry about it! I didn't end up going on Tuesday so it's OK!
I was worried you'd say that! The steel yarn needles are giving me the sh*ts! Though I was unaware they came in different sizes (I'm using huge ones to sew together small parts and it's...tricky!) so I'll look around for some smaller ones! Thanks again :wave:
CURRENT PROJECTS: