Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Anchoring when stitching a single X...?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
Shad
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Anchoring when stitching a single X...?

Post by Shad »

For those of you who are cross-stitching small things, like the pokemon, and the patten calls for just a single X of one color, how do you anchor it?

I'm a cross-stitch beginner and have dutifully followed the method of stitching over the starting tail on the back to hold it, and then tucking the ending tail under other stitches at the end, but this seems... inefficient? when doing just one X?

Is that clear?

johloh
Site Admin

Re: Anchoring when stitching a single X...?

Post by johloh »

rather than stitching over the starting tail and anchoring the end tail...

I just stitch the X with the head and end tails hanging...then anchor the end, pull the needle out, rethread the unanchored part, and anchor it.
(this probably makes no sense)

Id also do the single Xs at the end, so they are easy to anchor under other stitches.
Image "I can't drive, so I'm gonna walk all over you!"

Shad
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by Shad »

Makes sense. Seems that would waste a lot of thread, but it's not ALL that expensive...

benjibot
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by benjibot »

I've never had a problem with anchoring single stitches in the same manner as the beginning of a row. When I frame something I always stick it to a backing so there's rarely a risk of it coming loose.

If I have a bunch of single stitches scattered about I often thread the floss through my previous stitches in the same manner as finishing so I don't have loose threads hanging all over the back. And I always save them for last too, even if I've already used that color elsewhere.
Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy

jelibe
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by jelibe »

I do that, go through the back of previous stitches. You don't need to go through many either, just 3 would do. And I do them last. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does it this way.
Image http://jelibe-spritegirl.blogspot.com/ Visit my little crafty blog!!