Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Changing stitch size?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
Kittie
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Changing stitch size?

Post by Kittie »

Purchased a pdf pattern which is 496x370 stitches. Is there a way to reduce the stitch count of an existing pdf pattern to make the stitch count smaller? Would like to reduce stitch size so fabric size will be smaller.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Changing stitch size?

Post by Firehawke »

Not sure about reducing the stitch count, but if you change up your fabric count, the fabric size will be smaller (so if you stitch it on 18 or 25 count, your final project would be smaller than if you used 14 or 16 count).
Hope this helps!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Hi Kittie, the shortest answer to your question is no - you can't change a pdf pattern in the way you're asking as it's the digital equivalent of printing an existing pattern. However, if you follow what Firehawke said, and get a higher count on your fabric, the stitched area will be smaller!

Examples of 496 x 370 on different counts:

14ct - 35.43" x 26.43" (89.99 x 67.13cm)
16ct - 31" x 23.13" (78.74 x 58.75cm)
18ct - 27.56" x 20.56" (70.00 x 52.22cm)

...and so on up the counts.

May I ask what the pattern is? Is it a full coverage thing or does it have space in between stitched areas? Is it whole stitches only or are there fractionals? May be better able to recommend a fabric type and count with that info! :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Kittie
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by Kittie »

It’s a pattern I purchased from Bonanza.com of Cinderella’ s castle with the rainbow overhead. Didn’t realize how huge the fabric would be for 14 ct, trying to do it on 28 ct evenweave 1/1, but finding it difficult because stitches are so tiny. I know if I did it 2/2 the 28ct fabric would need to be the same size as the 14ct the pattern calls for. Was hoping I could shrink it to a design size of maybe 12x16 without losing details. Oh well, lesson learned... I need to figure fabric sizes before purchasing patterns.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

We've all done it at some point! :D
Stitching over 1 on 28ct is quite fiddly, especially with a large stitched area. Have you considered a 25ct lugana or a 22ct hardanger type fabric instead? Obviously the dimensions would be bigger than 1/28 but they'd be a hell of a lot easier to stitch!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...