buying sewing machine.

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
wozz90
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

buying sewing machine.

Post by wozz90 »

Hi all,

I was hoping you might be able to offer some advice, I'm looking at buying a sewing machine with my bonus at the end of the month as I really want to have a go at quilting, but at the same time don't want to spend loads as I might not get on with it.

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/brother-ls1 ... 61344-1000 - there is this one for £69

Or

would it be worth spending a little bit more and going for something like this?

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/brother-rl4 ... 87409-1000

Using hobbycraft as it local, doesn't necessarily have to be from here if anyone has any suggestions on make/model

Thanks in advance

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

buying sewing machine.

Post by Eliste »

With sewing machines it depends a little bit on what it is you want to do. If you're just doing basic sewing, the top one is probably fine. If you are likely to be doing more complicated things, or working with stretchy fabrics, the second is probably better.

BUT (and this is a big but) I'm not sure you want either. Others might have different opinions but for me there are two kinds of sewing machines- the kind that will make your life easy and the kind that will leave you in tears. For me, I've found that there are good brands and bad brands.

Personally, I haven't enjoyed sewing on a Brother. Ever. I am more inclined to suggest getting a refurbished better branded machine than either of the ones you suggested. Brands I personally trust- Singer, Pfaff, Janome are my favorites.

The difference is something you might not realize, but it comes down to how easy it is to control the machines. Cheaper machines usually have a lot of bounce in them, which can throw you off, I find. Heavier, good branded machines, usually don't have that, even in their lower priced models.

For me, it's worth getting a good brand, even second hand, because I don't end up hating working on it. It might be fine for you, but I highly suggest checking out refurbished better brands. Better yet, see if you can have a test run of a couple of different machines. Pay attention to how easily the fabric is to control in it, and you'll understand what I mean.