Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Cross stitch without frame

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
wozz90
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Cross stitch without frame

Post by wozz90 »

Does anybody here stitch without a frame of any sort? I've seen it mention a few times in various places and just wondered how easy people find and whether many people prefer to stitch this way?

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Cross stitch without frame

Post by Eliste »

Have tried it and hate it. I can't keep my tension even enough that I like the outcome.

jworek528
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by jworek528 »

I've only done so on small projects with very stiff aida

LucyInTheSky
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by LucyInTheSky »

I stitch with a hoop. I had a few stitches left on my thread but the hoop was in the way. I pulled off the hoop and was stitching the last few without putting the hoop on, since it was just a few stitches. I almost screamed. I don't know what it was but it was so difficult to maneuver and stitch and took me forever for those 3 stitches (but dangit, I won't waste that fraction of a cm thread!)
Check out my blog: GorramQuilts.com

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

I much prefer to stitch without a hoop/frame, unless the fabric is very soft and floppy. I find frames frustrating and keep banging my hands on them, and also find it harder to stitch on a stretched flat surface. Instead I hold my work very close to where I stitch, and if it is a larger piece of cloth, roll it up so that it doesn't get in the way.
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

Delver01
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Delver01 »

I hate frames. All loose hand stitching here

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

I like to keep my aida rolled up in my left hand as I'm working. I've tried hoops, but they just weren't for me!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Batboard
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Batboard »

I couldn't work with it loose, I've tried a lot of things and I love scroll frames. Plus, I can use two hands on scrolls simultaneously and I stitch a whole lot faster. I hate having to push the needle with one hand than switch hands holding it to use the other on the back or bring my hand around to get on both sides. I use left on back and right on front and I can stitch much faster, although I love the idea of not having to worry about hoops and frames and stuff, it just doesn't work for me, plus the it drives me nuts not having equal tension on all sides.......I think i might have some OCD tendencies...hmmm

ezsebeth
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by ezsebeth »

I've done both.

When I first started cross stitching, I used no hope or frame. And the stitches turned out okay. You couldn't tell (or, I as a noob couldn't tell). But my mum also cross stitched without a hoop, so I got it from her.
No using a hoop does have an advantage, you can stitch so much faster than when you use a hoop (at least for me). Your needle doesn't have to go to the back of the work, you can just pass the needle through the right holes in one go.

A frame and a hoop does give some oversight over the work you've done. I like a frame more, but that's because I can use both my hands when I'm stitching and I can see all my work that I've done more clearly.

Why not try both and see what works for you?
Epic Pokemon I: 6.8%

LinkIsMyHomeboy
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by LinkIsMyHomeboy »

I've done both. Larger projects I find it easier to use a frame, but for most of my smaller projects I don't use a frame/hoop. I find they just get in the way when they're small.