Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Aida showing between stitches

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
sweaters
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Aida showing between stitches

Post by sweaters »

I see these beautiful pieces online and then try to copy them but my projects always have white showing between the stitches, am I simply stitching too tight? I use thread heaven, if that helps, but I still have the cloth showing which doesn't look good esp. with darker colored patterns :(

sawyerssnowflake
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Re: Aida showing between stitches

Post by sawyerssnowflake »

What size aida do you use and how many strands of floss?

sweaters
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by sweaters »

14 count two strands. I also recently bought 18 count but haven't gotten around to using it yet

sawyerssnowflake
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by sawyerssnowflake »

You could use 3 strands on 14 count...it should give you more coverage. I use two strands on 18 count and you can barely see the aida...except with black floss and other darker colors. Hope this helps!

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Two strands on 14 count should be fine. You could be pulling the stitches too tight - they just need to lie flat on the aida rather than be pulled tightly. And have you washed your finished pieces? I always find the aida stops showing through after a wash.
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

SarynKitamo
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by SarynKitamo »

I had the same problem. I started using 3 strands on 14 count Aida and haven't had a problem since... aside from going through most of my black thread. XD

sweaters
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by sweaters »

I cant do anything abiut how tight I stitch... if i try to losen up, my stitches dont look the sae because of different tension :(

I started railroading which really helps with keeping the floss flat even more than my trolley needle does. I've also decided to switch to 18 count aida, it looks better and railroading is much easier with using an even number of floss strands.

Thanks for the advice though!