Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

cross stitching starter pack

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
thereefernander
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

cross stitching starter pack

Post by thereefernander »

Hello i want to expand for perler art into cross stitching and need reccomendations for a good start. And how do i aquire a vast assortment of colors just buy what is neccesary for the current project and go from there?

Here is what i came up with so far please tell me if i made any bad choices. Im suprised i haven't found a definitive starters guide.
I have the 36 pack of loops and threads embroidery floss
12 inch hoop
16 count aida cloth
Pack of tapestry needle 24

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: cross stitching starter pack

Post by Pyper »

I would add some embroidery scissors (or nail scissors - any small ones really) and possibly a pincushion or similar to keep your needles in.

Colours just seem to accumulate for me, I buy them as I need them for projects. That said I try to keep at least one skein of each major colour just in case I want to do an unexpected project that needs it. By major colour I mean a red, an orange, couple of blues etc, a basic colour pallete.
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

yessamaca
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by yessamaca »

If you have a store near you where you can get floss then I wouldn't buy in advance. You never know which colors you're going to need and there are so many! I have bags and bags full but still never seem to have the colors I need when I pick up a new project.

When I started stitching I just used kits. Then I had the right colors, fabric, etc. I got some good, sharp, small scissors as well. And a hoop but I always hated the hoop so I don't use it anymore.

concraftidor
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by concraftidor »

I would agree with the statement of buying as you need, with the caveat that you should buy DMC and keep track of the color #s. A lot of patterns on this site and out in the world (as well as if you make your own with charting software) will use DMC color #s to mark what goes where. This becomes especially important with really complex patterns that have shading and whatnot. I also keep some basic white 18ct Aida (16 or 14 if you prefer is fine) around in case I want to start something quickly. After awhile you may find yourself accumulating the entire collection of DMC so you can start any project at the drop of a hat.
Conquering crafting - one medium at a time!
http://www.concraftidora.wordpress.com

Family Tree Sampler (90% done)
Christmas Stocking (70% done)
Epic Pokemon Generation I (1/30 pages)
Three Wolf Moon (10% done)

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

You'll accumulate as you go along. You can buy some nice boxes to store your thread in, I get card bobbins and wind them up and keep in order of number in about four boxes so far, all DMC.
I now have a box for 14 count aida, 16 count, 18 count and 22 count. I tend to like sales so pick up some aida and a random thread or two every so often.

You start off slowly and small and get sacked in and before you know it your whole room has bits and pieces everywhere!!
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

cirestan
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by cirestan »

Yeah, it all depends on what you want to work on. There are plenty of kits out there (main stream) that pretty much have everything except a hoop included - some even have the hoop. But if you are flying by the seat of your pants, and/or finding patterns on here, making your own, or getting patterns online. Just get a color list (DMC) and buy what you need for each project. The next project, you'll find you already have some of the colors and just need to get a couple more.
Floss is only .30 - .40 a skein (USD), so even if you have to buy 100 colors for a really over the top project (like I am in the process of), it's only about $40.
Visit my Etsy Store "A Stitch 'N' Crime"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AStitchNCrime

Visit my OTHER Etsy Store "Rescued Art Shop"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RescuedArtSho ... _shop_menu