Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Which pattern generator is preferred?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
UsernameNotAvailable
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Which pattern generator is preferred?

Post by UsernameNotAvailable »

So I'm going to treat myself this new year by purchasing a pattern generator.
I've been using the trial version of PC Stitch forever, and it works okay, it's the only one I've used so I really have nothing to compare it to.

I know some of you also use KG-Chart.

I am also aware of Pattern Maker from Hobbyware.

Which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Heather

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Which pattern generator is preferred?

Post by funkymonkey »

I have PC-Stitch, and like it because the pattern sizes aren't limited to 500 wide like KG Chart (rarely do I need one that big, but when you do, it can be a problem) and the print options are much more customizable (like margins, overlap rows, etc).

The color selection is slightly different in every program, but I generally prefer PC-Stitch to KG-Chart. I'll usually import an image into both though, if not just adjusting colors by eye, to get what I think is most accurate. KG seems to do better with reds.

BooChocoBoom
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by BooChocoBoom »

I've been using KG-Chart for quite a while now and the color suggestion plain sucks. I have to true-match the color on everything. Beyond that, though, it is a great free product. I just received PC Stitch 10 for Xmas and everyone suggests that it is awesome, so I'll be back to comment once I've got it installed and working.
Current projects:
Leftover swap gifts
HP House Scarves
Secret of Mana charity square
Vid game advent calendar

concraftidor
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by concraftidor »

I'm a cheapskate who primarily uses the free online generators, and I actually did a whole blog post rounding these up and choosing my favorites: https://concraftidora.wordpress.com/201 ... b-pattern/

I'm also a mac-user which gives me very few options for downloadable software. That being said, when I have used Macstitch I have enjoyed it, but I honestly do not find their photo-to-pattern conversion as good as my preferred online program. Since the current batch of "DIY" patterns I'm working on tend to be weird computer generated blobular thingys, it's easiest to use a photo-to-pattern conversion that I then tweak with a bit during the process.
Conquering crafting - one medium at a time!
http://www.concraftidora.wordpress.com

Family Tree Sampler (90% done)
Christmas Stocking (70% done)
Epic Pokemon Generation I (1/30 pages)
Three Wolf Moon (10% done)