Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

What is your stitching pattern

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
RoseLight
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

What is your stitching pattern

Post by RoseLight »

So I've noticed that when parking threads the 10x10 blocks are complete.
Does that mean that you finish a stitch before moving to the next one?
Normally I half stitch a whole color block and then co back over it but that won't really work for parking.
What do you do?

Lalina
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Re: What is your stitching pattern

Post by Lalina »

If I am parking my threads then I do full crosses. That way I can park my thread at a point that is close(ish) to my last stitch.

I only do half stitches if I am working with one colour at a time. That way I can do my return trip, anchor my thread, then move onto another colour.

I prefer using full crosses in almost all of my stitching anyway. Play around with your piece a bit and maybe you will find a way that you can stitch forward and back while still utilizing parking as a method. One possibility would be starting by the edge you want to end at. That way, you will be back at that edge when you have finished crossing all of your stitches and need to park your thread.

Oops! I forgot to add: You do not have to stick to 10 x 10 squares. I think it is the more common way to stitch with parking but there are some people who will do "cross-country" stitching where they stitch across a whole page in a straight line and just park their colours in the next stitch below. Here is an example of someone who was doing this (though she started to do extra stitches here and there to keep things interesting)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 82db2872c0
Last edited by Lalina on Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects:
- Game of Thrones/Mario World Mash-up (cross-stitch)

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I usually do a row, or a small section, of a single color and fully cross it before moving to another color, whether I'm parking or not. The only time I leave half stitches is if I've really honestly run out of that thread and have to (unless ofc the pattern calls for half stitches). I do it mostly because I'm forgetful and if I leave it half done it may never get done or because I will forget which color it is or where I am on a pattern. But it does mean consistency, too. *shrug*

cirestan
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by cirestan »

OK. I have no idea what you people are talking about. I have no understanding on how the stitching on that image works.
I pick a symbol, thread my needle, stitch until I'm either out of thread or out of symbols (or the span is too far depending on pattern), then pick a new symbol.
If I quit work before I'm done, I just leave the thread coming out the front so I know where my last stitch was and stick the needle in the edge or a piece of cork.
Visit my Etsy Store "A Stitch 'N' Crime"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AStitchNCrime

Visit my OTHER Etsy Store "Rescued Art Shop"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RescuedArtSho ... _shop_menu

Lalina
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Lalina »

The way that the picture works is basically the same way that you stitch when you quit before you're done. The difference is that the person has stitched a little bit with one colour, stopped and left the thread incoming out to the front in the next stitch she needed to complete. Then she started with another colour, and another, and so forth. It's basically stitching and quitting over and over again in small bursts.

Though I admit that I have no idea how she is able to manage that many colours at one time without going crazy.
Current Projects:
- Game of Thrones/Mario World Mash-up (cross-stitch)

JulieK
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by JulieK »

cirestan wrote:OK. I have no idea what you people are talking about. I have no understanding on how the stitching on that image works.
I pick a symbol, thread my needle, stitch until I'm either out of thread or out of symbols (or the span is too far depending on pattern), then pick a new symbol.
If I quit work before I'm done, I just leave the thread coming out the front so I know where my last stitch was and stick the needle in the edge or a piece of cork.
I also stitch this way starting from the centre point and going in any direction that takes my fancy. I also colour in my pattern as I go along so I know where I am on it.

The grids and banking methods blow my mind a bit!

Julie

Hecksgirl
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by Hecksgirl »

I think the parking method looks really cool, but so far all my patterns have been small enough that it doesn't seem necessary. I take one color/symbol and completely finish it; half stitches if they are together, then immediately going back over them, or full crosses if they are single. If there is more than three squares, I just tie off and start in the new spot. I like to have really neat backs though, so I'm a little anal about things.

Lucradan
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by Lucradan »

I do one color at a time, starting either with black or what ever color bounds the image. I spend lots of time looking at the pattern and counting stitches so I try and do that work up front by doing the border of a block of color first then fill it in. Doesn't ng it this way lets me prepare several needles of the same color at once and allows me to work projects without having to carry the pattern with me. As far as filling in a color, I do go left to right making a half stitch (from the bottom left corner to upper right) then I come backand complete the stitch (from bottom right to top left). This keeps my stitches in the same direction (which doesn't matter for black but does prevent the "wavy" effect). I try to keep my back nice and clean vertical lines but it isn't always possible if you want your stitches in the same directions..