Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Stopping back side snarls?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
cirestan
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Stopping back side snarls?

Post by cirestan »

Any tips for catching backside snarls and knots before they are beyond the point of saving?

Obviously you can flip your work every other stitch or so to visually inspect for knotted thread.
You can make a concerted effort to keep your thread from being untwisted which should limit the number of snarls.
I guess you could feel for snarls as you go, but normally one of hands is on the needle, and the other is on the scroll.

It seems like regardless how careful I am I will occasionally get a snarl and not find out about it until half a dozen stitches later.
At that time all I feel like I can do is stitch it down to the back as I pass back over it.

Tips?
Visit my Etsy Store "A Stitch 'N' Crime"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AStitchNCrime

Visit my OTHER Etsy Store "Rescued Art Shop"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RescuedArtSho ... _shop_menu

SunkistShiek
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Stopping back side snarls?

Post by SunkistShiek »

I was watching a YouTube video for beginner cross stitchers and she had some sort of thread conditioner. When you separate two strands from the original 6, you separate the two into individual threads and run each across the conditioner (it kind of looks like a chalk cube for pool cues...say that 5 times fast!). She then put the two back together and stitched with them like normal and said it helps prevent knotting and tangles.

I've never tried it and haven't looked for it either but maybe that'll help. I've also found that if I let the needle and thread hang for a second, it'll spin for awhile and stop. Then I continue cross stitching and don't have as many problems for a while (if that makes sense).
WIP
Link's Sword (4/30); SAL Sampler; Adult Size Monster Pants (knitting)
ImageImageImage

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

SunkistShiek wrote:it kind of looks like a chalk cube for pool cues...
Sounds like Thread Heaven, which is fabulous and no stitcher should be without it. :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

cirestan
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by cirestan »

Good to know.
Normally I keep the thread shorter than I want to (especially for large areas), and let it dangle every couple minutes to let it untwist.
The "Thread Heaven" is a good tip, though.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I go for the low tech option, which is that I force the thread to run between my fingernail and the hole with every stitch. I work with one hand at the back of my fabric at all times. This doesn't work if you have to hold a large frame/hoop in your hand, but with smaller ones I can still reach a finger over to do this. Also with large enough frames, I rest the frame on my arm so my hand is free to go where it needs to.

Basically, after you push the needle into the hole, put your finger on the back of the needle. When you pull the needle forward, let your hand follow it to the fabric and rest there. You'll feel the thread pull past. As soon as a snarl happens, I notice, because it hits my finger. Then I can flip over and fix it before it becomes an issue.

SunkistShiek
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by SunkistShiek »

blackmageheart wrote:
SunkistShiek wrote:it kind of looks like a chalk cube for pool cues...
Sounds like Thread Heaven, which is fabulous and no stitcher should be without it. :D
Yes! That's it and because someone else said something about, I'll try it out.
cirestan wrote:The "Thread Heaven" is a good tip, though.
No problem! I'm glad I remembered and that BMH knew what it was! :)
WIP
Link's Sword (4/30); SAL Sampler; Adult Size Monster Pants (knitting)
ImageImageImage

TheMainlander
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by TheMainlander »

I've tried Thread Heaven, and I find it works good, but really not any better than good ol' spit...

As soon as I find that the floss starts hitching, I'll wet my thumb and forefinger, and run it along the floss. Or if it's longer, I'll actually bring the floss to my mouth and dampen it that way. Since I wash my projects at the end anyways, I see little problem with dampening the floss in this fashion, and it definitely works at reducing knots!

A reminder of common sense though... don't try this if you are eating or drinking while you're stitching! hehe
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."
-Jayne, Firefly

cirestan
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by cirestan »

I'm afraid my project would have Oreo and Cheeto crumbs imbedded all in it. :banana

HornyPig
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by HornyPig »

I always keep at least one finger behind the fabric on the place im working on. Its doesnt prevent the snarls but i can feel them.