Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

SUPER STIFF FABRIC ARUGH

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
sadiestitches08
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

SUPER STIFF FABRIC ARUGH

Post by sadiestitches08 »

I bought some Loops and Threads 18ct Aida at Michaels (just to see if my blind self could handle the 18ct), and it's so stiff I can barely use it. I feel like I am ruining my needle forcing it through the holes, and it's taking me forever. Is there anything I can do to make it softer? I would just throw it out and forget it (trust me, I learned my "get what you pay for lesson"), but I have a good 5 long rows done AND I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!! My hand hurts :bye:

Will ironing it help soften it? Or washing it in plain water and letting it dry? HELP? ANYONE??
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Lao Tzu

Currently Working on:
Various Home Decor Stitches
Lizzie Kate: HOCUS POCUS

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: SUPER STIFF FABRIC ARUGH

Post by Pyper »

Try washing it. I had the opposire problem - the aida was a perfect stiffness but I washed it to check if dye-fast and now its almost too floppy to work with. I don't normally use a hoop but I am seriously considering one.
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

discoqueen
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by discoqueen »

I've found that just by simply handling it a lot helps.
I'm having to use a hoop for the 18 Aida I'm using since I haven't been able to find a scroll frame large enough around here; and even with rolling it on the rods that I do have to keep the excess out of the way, it's still wrinkling and such. But there's not too much stiffness anymore because of it either.

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

discoqueen wrote:I've found that just by simply handling it a lot helps.
I used the same brand for my squares and yeah, I was annoyed by the stiffness as well, but once you handle it for awhile, it does soften up. I would perhaps try washing it and seeing if that helps. :)
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

A lot of fabrics are starched or treated with sizing before being sold to the public. Washing it will almost certainly relax the fibres a bit. There should be no problem even using normal washing powder if you haven't stitched on it yet. If you have, then I suggest water with a tiny amount of dish-washing liquid. You'll want to let it soak a lot if its not going in a machine to get the sizing/starch out. I'd probably soak it for a few hours, replace the water, then soak it overnight. By the morning it should be nicely pliable, but make sure you rinse it well.

sadiestitches08
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by sadiestitches08 »

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

It's slowly but surely getting easier to work with, so we will see how this goes.

I loved the look of the 18 ct so much that I bought a huge roll at Hobby Lobby today while I was getting a frame and mat for my husband's grandmother's 85th birthday stitch. Better brand by far!
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Lao Tzu

Currently Working on:
Various Home Decor Stitches
Lizzie Kate: HOCUS POCUS