Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Stitch Speed

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
cirestan
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Stitch Speed

Post by cirestan »

So starting a new project, my biggest yet, I was looking at the pattern and trying to estimate how long it should take.
I quickly realized I had grossly over-estimated my speed, and taking into account pattern referrals and changing floss ended up settling on about 40 stiches per hour (average).
Obviously that could be faster if I'm doing an entire area with a single fill color, and much slower if I'm doing a bunch of one-off stitches of different colors.
I also stitch primarily while watching TV.

How fast do you stitch? How do you measure? Do you care?
Visit my Etsy Store "A Stitch 'N' Crime"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AStitchNCrime

Visit my OTHER Etsy Store "Rescued Art Shop"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RescuedArtSho ... _shop_menu

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Stitch Speed

Post by Eliste »

cirestan wrote: How fast do you stitch? How do you measure? Do you care?
I only care if I have a deadline. I've never tried to measure it, and I don't think I realistically could. My stitching speed tends to go up and down from day to day, session to session, minute to minute. Like you, I usually stitch while watching tv. I know I it faster if I don't and I can't figure out a way to account for the "OMG LOOK WHAT JUST HAPPENED" moments where I completely lose my train of work. Also, it vastly depends on the project. If its a project with a lot of colour-changes, then any 'normal' estimation is right out the window.

So I don't measure. I don't really care to. I'm more concerned with making sure the final thing looks good than the time frame it takes me to finish in.

Batboard
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Batboard »

Well...I think one thing that made a difference for me is I got one of those chair arm organizers. Which is basically a piece of fabric that has pockets and a pin cushion, for like 15$, and I will use about 6-9 needles, thread them with the colors I need, and the just go to town until i run out. I guess without stoping besides starting a new piece of thread, It would take about 2hrs to do that. maybe 300-400 stitches if I was just into it. But thats not often. But having them pre threaded is nice, when done, stick it in the cushion and grab the next.

sadiestitches08
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by sadiestitches08 »

Batboard wrote:Well...I think one thing that made a difference for me is I got one of those chair arm organizers. Which is basically a piece of fabric that has pockets and a pin cushion, for like 15$, and I will use about 6-9 needles, thread them with the colors I need, and the just go to town until i run out. I guess without stoping besides starting a new piece of thread, It would take about 2hrs to do that. maybe 300-400 stitches if I was just into it. But thats not often. But having them pre threaded is nice, when done, stick it in the cushion and grab the next.
That's a great idea! I've thought about investing in a chair arm organizer myself, but I think it's kinda expensive.. sounds like it might be worth it though. Can you share some pictures of yours/ what you recommend?

**Not trying to hijack your thread, I promise!**
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Lao Tzu

Currently Working on:
Various Home Decor Stitches
Lizzie Kate: HOCUS POCUS

Batboard
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Batboard »

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 4826 times
To be honest, you could probably just get some fabric, maybe even an old pair of pants or something and a pin cushion and make one... But I'm lazy and bought one from hobby lobby. It's DMC, I use their 40% off coupon every time and I think I got this for about...12$ or so. But like i said it does help when zoning out on some stitching, I'm working on the smb3 world 1 and at a point where it's just that tan color for a long long time and I just stitch and grab another until I run out, but it's great for when you have many colors, and you can just grab the next...sorry but the pic looks huge in the preview I'm looking at. Maybe it's just that I'm on an iPad. I just left click on the pic and choose open in new tab and a smaller pic shows up....fyi

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

What an interesting idea. I think I may have to make one. Bonus points if you can fodl your project up in it and take it with you to work on while out.
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

cirestan
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by cirestan »

That's a cool idea, and will probably try it on my next small project.
Right now, I have way too many color combos to make it work.
Visit my Etsy Store "A Stitch 'N' Crime"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/AStitchNCrime

Visit my OTHER Etsy Store "Rescued Art Shop"
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RescuedArtSho ... _shop_menu