Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

How do you organize and store your floss?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
BigDaddyWiz
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: How do you organize and store your floss?

Post by BigDaddyWiz »

I have mine wound up on plastic bobbins. I have the bobbins sorted into 6 bobbin storage boxes. I have a seventh box for needles, "fancy" Thread Like satins, variated thread, glow in the dark etc.. I used to have the thread sorted in numerical order but I found it was harder to compare colors if I wasnt satisfied with the color suggested by my pattern maker. Now they are sorted based on the DMC color chart. It was a little harder to get used to at first. but since all the, say reds, are in one area its not as hard to find things as one would think. Plus now I can compare against all the other reds without opening a bunch of boxes. I also use post it notes to keep track of what im using so I know exactly where it goes back to when im done with it.
Example Bin
Example Bin
Bin1.jpg (130.19 KiB) Viewed 9003 times

Lois
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Lois »

Since I don't like bobbins I came up with the idea of putting my floss on wooden clothing pins. And I store them in a box that I bought at Ikea for 3,49 euro's I think.
Foto 27-09-14 14 49 53.jpg
Foto 27-09-14 14 49 53.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 8945 times

I see in the preview that my picture is very big -__- And I don't know how to make it smaller So if anyone could explain it to me that would be nice :-)
Current projects
- Epic pokemon gen 1 cross stitch 5%
- Unicorn 80%
- Slowpoke 25%
Playing
- supersmash brawl
- skyward sword

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

That's a really cool idea!
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

Lois
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Lois »

RMDC wrote:That's a really cool idea!

thanks ;-)

I like it because you can put the end of the thread between the two pieces of the clothing pin. No idea how to describe it differently haha.
Current projects
- Unicorn 80%
- Slowpoke 25%
Playing
- supersmash brawl
- skyward sword

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Lois wrote:Since I don't like bobbins I came up with the idea of putting my floss on wooden clothing pins.
Have you had any problems with the thread catching on the wood? I'd be scared that would happen.

Lois
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Lois »

Eliste wrote:
Lois wrote:Since I don't like bobbins I came up with the idea of putting my floss on wooden clothing pins.
Have you had any problems with the thread catching on the wood? I'd be scared that would happen.
No, never. The clothing pins are sanded (Had to use google translate for this word so I don't know if it's the right word haha) but I store my thread like this since 2012 and never had any problems with it.
Current projects
- Unicorn 80%
- Slowpoke 25%
Playing
- supersmash brawl
- skyward sword

Mishatu
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Mishatu »

Lois wrote:
Eliste wrote:
No, never. The clothing pins are sanded (Had to use google translate for this word so I don't know if it's the right word haha) but I store my thread like this since 2012 and never had any problems with it.
Sanded means that the wood has been rubbed smooth with rough paper. Perfect word :)

SunkistShiek
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by SunkistShiek »

I just revamped (a.k.a bought a new storage holder) for my floss. I got this container at JoAnn's for $9 on sale (originally $15). It's double sided, meaning I can open both sides and store things in both, as long as the lid is closed. I'm in love AND it fits everything! I even put all (and I mean ALL) of the other colors that were floating around and put them on bobbins too. I used to have two smaller clear bins, but I like that it holds more and is all in one spot. As for the organizing part, I just put mine in numerical order and put the extras on the other side. I don't like to have multiple bobbins of the same color in my main collection. And, thanks to concraftidor, I bought the app, TT117, and am super excited to use it. I haven't had any experience with it, other than putting how many of what color and if its on a bobbin or not, but the idea of the app itself sounds wonderful. :)
Attachments
photo (3).JPG
photo (3).JPG (130.76 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
WIP
Link's Sword (4/30); SAL Sampler; Adult Size Monster Pants (knitting)
ImageImageImage

concraftidor
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by concraftidor »

Whoo! Glad to hear you like the app. It's a god-send to me when I'm doing m weekly shopping trip or trying to figure out if I have what I need on the fly.
Conquering crafting - one medium at a time!
http://www.concraftidora.wordpress.com

Family Tree Sampler (90% done)
Christmas Stocking (70% done)
Epic Pokemon Generation I (1/30 pages)
Three Wolf Moon (10% done)

Hecksgirl
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by Hecksgirl »

I have mine sorted in numerical order, but since adding an app to the mix for keeping track of what I have, am intrigued by the color method. I've had the problem of colors on a pattern not looking good. How do you know ahead of time that a color will look bad? Just comparing it to the other threads in that shade?