Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Working with large cloth?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
breadstick
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Working with large cloth?

Post by breadstick »

I haven't done a really large piece yet (largest was about 12x16 inches). I have decided to challenge myself (and I'm not that smart) so I'll be doing the sisting chapel cross stitch pattern once I'm done with my current project. It would be easier to do it all in sections, but I'd like to keep it together on one large piece of cloth.

My question is what is the easiest way to work with such a large piece of cloth (it's about five feet long)? Any tips or tricks to keep it from being awkward and heavy feeling while I stitch?

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Working with large cloth?

Post by Eliste »

First, absolutely, positively make sure you zigzag/whipstitch the edges of your fabric. Its going to take you an age, and if you do this now it will survive better.

Second, decide what you want to stretch it on. How you deal with the spare fabric depends a lot on whether you are going to stitch it on a hoop, a frame, or something else because how you deal with the fabric is different from one to the other.

Consider a scroll frame. If you get one that is wide enough, you can roll the entirety of your extra fabric on it and leave it there throughout the whole project. IMO this is the best option for large projects as it keeps fabric safe, tidy, and clean.

If you're not using a scroll frame or a frame that allows you to keep the rest of the fabric on it, roll up the excess fabric in a tube. I usually safety pin it in place to keep it rolled up and out of the way. You can then just open and unroll when you go to the next area.

You need to be certain of your project order. For a really large project, I don't start in the center. If you're right handed, start on the left side and work right. If you're left handed, work right to left. This means you won't be fiddling up/down with your working hand around your finished stitches which keeps it much cleaner.

Keeping your finished stitches clean is actually the most important part. Your work order helps with this, but you need a plan on how to keep them safe. If you're using a scroll frame this is easy- just make sure that your finished stitches are rolled under, not over the bar and they will be kept nice and clean. If you're not using a scroll frame, I find it best to roll them into a tube again, but don't use safety pins or anything that pushes through the fabric to keep them tidy. You can use clothespins (or the version that are made for quilts works too), but make sure that you're not putting a strain on the fabric by doing so.

The heaviness is never going to get fixed, though. It will get lighter as you stitch because you'll get used to it, but you are working with a huge piece of cloth. Theoretically, you could cut/rebind the fabric, but I don't recommend it. Managing the fabric so that it doesn't get in your way/become an issue is the best option, and rolling it into tubes is the best way that I have found.

The last suggestion is that if you can afford a lap or floor stand to hold your hoop/frame, it will make your life a lot easier.

breadstick
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by breadstick »

Thank you for the detailed reply. I've been using a square hoop frame, but it's going to be way too small for this project. I have an adjustable floor stand, but I don't think it's good for the weight of everything. I think you're right, a scroll frame and stand is the way to go. I'll have to do some more thinking to get a final idea of what I need.

Edit: on second thought, a scroll frame might not be right. The finished size is 40" x 80" , so I don't know how to get all that in a frame and still be usable. The search continues.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

breadstick wrote: Edit: on second thought, a scroll frame might not be right. The finished size is 40" x 80" , so I don't know how to get all that in a frame and still be usable. The search continues.
It will be unwieldy if you don't have a stand, but I do think its probably best. You can get 40" wide rollers, but only work on about 10" high at a time. The rest just gets rolled up. I'm currently working on a frame that is 36" wide by 8-10" tall and not using a stand. Its actually not that bad, but nobody else can sit on the couch at the same time!

breadstick
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by breadstick »

Eliste wrote:
breadstick wrote: Edit: on second thought, a scroll frame might not be right. The finished size is 40" x 80" , so I don't know how to get all that in a frame and still be usable. The search continues.
It will be unwieldy if you don't have a stand, but I do think its probably best. You can get 40" wide rollers, but only work on about 10" high at a time. The rest just gets rolled up. I'm currently working on a frame that is 36" wide by 8-10" tall and not using a stand. Its actually not that bad, but nobody else can sit on the couch at the same time!
My wife and dogs would not be happy about that.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

breadstick wrote:
Eliste wrote: but nobody else can sit on the couch at the same time!
My wife and dogs would not be happy about that.
I actually think the perfect option would be a reclining chair. I think it would be perfect to lay the project across the arms and work on it. Really wish we had room for one. Next house. =/

breadstick
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by breadstick »

That's the plan. Have the house, don't have the money right now.