Overlapping stitches and fixing mistakes

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
loveofbirds
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Overlapping stitches and fixing mistakes

Post by loveofbirds »

Hi everyone.

I am newish to cross stitching and wasn't sure where to look for the right information.
I bought a pattern and have been stitching away (and having trouble sleeping because i want to do more of the pattern). SO i have a few questions.

What is overlapping stitching? I read on one page that you aren't mean to the parts that are grey/over lapping sections on the patterns. I have done plenty of small patterns but nothing that had overlapping stitches within the pattern so am feeling flustered and overwhelmed, and think i have probably made a mistake

What do i do to fix where i have done some of the sections in grey/overlapping stitch sections?

I am on page 1 of a 15 page pattern so am pleased i worked it out now rather than later but am feeling really frustrated by my error.

Please help :)

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Overlapping stitches and fixing mistakes

Post by Eliste »

This is how patterns show you where each page is in relation to the next. Basically, you'll see the same pattern in the overlapping section on page A as you will on page B. It explains how the two fit together. If you were to put both patterns side by side and compare the greyed out "overlapping" section with the edge of the next page you should see that they will be identical.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you stitch it while doing page A or page B as long as you remember that you've already done those two/three rows when you go to the next page and don't repeat them. If you repeat them, then you'll have the same section stitched twice and it will screw up the way the pattern looks.

If you've only stitched page 1, then its unlikely you have stitched it twice. Just figure out what on the next page you have already stitched and make sure not to do it again when you move to that page.

As for if you make a mistake and have to take stuff out- the only way is to rip out the stitches. If the thread is still on your needle, you can backtrack, but if not you may need to carefully cut a stitch and then carefully pull it out. I find using a needle to do the pulling is easiest for me.

loveofbirds
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by loveofbirds »

Thank you so very much :)

I have been worrying that i did something wrong and everything is fine now :) so I no longer need to take the stitches out. I was incredibly anxious about it but feel much better now.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

If I were you, I think I'd take some time and highlight on the second page what has already been stitched. That way even if you forget about it, when you move on to that page you'll know where you are/what's been done.

loveofbirds
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by loveofbirds »

Thanks for the advice :)

I have started doing that, I was grinning like an idiot when i found out i hadn't made a mistake that would of meant i needed to remove 50-60 stitches and then working how to prevent the remainder from unraveling. I am very glad i waited for a response before undoing them