Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Attaching a music box?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
katdun
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Attaching a music box?

Post by katdun »

I'm making this kit as a gift, and it comes with a music box to put on the back. Image
The directions say to glue the music box (it's an ugly thing that has three contact points to glue on) directly to the back of the plastic canvas. I don't really like the idea of leaving the back of the stitching uncovered and the music box has batteries, so I can't cover it up with a backing or I'd have to rip it apart to change them. I'm wondering: if I put a felt (or fabric) backing on it, would the long backstitches be enough to hold it on securely and then glue the music box to the felt instead? Has anyone else done something like this? Or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks! :wave:
Current Projects:
Pen Pals!
Sprite Stitch Swap!
Learning to crochet!

Batboard
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Attaching a music box?

Post by Batboard »

I would cut out a piece of felt to glue on the back the same shape of the snow man. Bit first I would cut a piece of felt to make a pocket on the outside of the backing using stitching, and another piece to make a flap over the pocket, like an envelope. And then glue it to your project. Maybe even cut a slit in the flap and use a button on the pocket to close and hold but easy to get to. Hope that might be workable for you.

SofaraStarfyre
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by SofaraStarfyre »

I like batboards idea of making an "envelope" on the back with a piece of felt to hold the music box. And as for the backstitching, I would do it in single stitches as much as possible to secure the felt backing properly. To me the longer stitches just don't look as neat and tidy and they look to loose to me so I tend to do short ones but I know everyone has their own opinions.

katdun
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by katdun »

I think that idea will work great, Batboard! I like to use the shorter stitches too, so I will change the stitching around the edge to make it work to hold the felt on. Thanks, guys!
Current Projects:
Pen Pals!
Sprite Stitch Swap!
Learning to crochet!

SofaraStarfyre
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by SofaraStarfyre »

Good luck! and Crazy as it sounds, I would love to see the back when you're done to see how the "envelope" works out.

Batboard
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Batboard »

Me too! You know, live vicariously and all that. :yahoo: