Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

fabric count question, 28 vs 18

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
peach121
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

fabric count question, 28 vs 18

Post by peach121 »

I'm fairly new to this site and cross stitching. hi! I saw this lovely pattern for " the accolade" some wonderful person made and posted in the classic painting thread.. ( the accolade is towards the bottom)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5819&start=10

the pdf pattern says 28 count. the pattern is 150 stitches by 200.I read online somewhere that 14 count aida and 28 count even weave fabric are actually the same and produce the same sized projects. Assuming you stitch over 2 on the even weave. So following that, would using 18 count aida in place of 28 make for a smaller picture? ( which would be preferable for me)

Lastly, I've read around the site and I've noticed people commenting that colors can be off on kg chart. should I worry about that? I was planning on just using the colors it listed.

Servotron
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Re: fabric count question, 28 vs 18

Post by Servotron »

the pdf pattern says 28 count. the pattern is 150 stitches by 200.I read online somewhere that 14 count aida and 28 count even weave fabric are actually the same and produce the same sized projects. Assuming you stitch over 2 on the even weave.
This is correct. If you stitch over two squares on 28 count evenweave it will be the same as if you were stitching on 14 count aida.
So following that, would using 18 count aida in place of 28 make for a smaller picture?
Yes, assuming that you were still stitching over two on the evenweave. The higher the count the smaller the picture. You could try stitching over ones one the 28 count for an even smaller picture!
Lastly, I've read around the site and I've noticed people commenting that colors can be off on kg chart. should I worry about that? I was planning on just using the colors it listed.
KG Chart tends to skew darker when it chooses its colours. I can't say that I even had a problem with it, but I switched to PC Stitch a while ago so I haven't used it for a while. From memory, the colours did sometimes look wrong but once the piece was stitched they all worked together and the piece looked fine.
Image Image Image Image

peach121
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by peach121 »

wow THANK YOU so much for the help!! I don't know anyone else who cross stitches so I've been on my own with figuring these things out. this is going to be bigger than my other projects too, a little nervous. :pika

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

In my experience, both KG Chart and PC Stitch have color issues. I prefer PC Stitch, but I still had to switch out several of the colors PC Stitch recommended on my last project. Many people here, myself included, will urge you to create patterns in either program normally, but follow it up by actually holding the floss recommended by the program against a reference image in order to see how close the program came to getting it right.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.