Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Canvass Counts of the Small (or large) Kind

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
sfxbecks
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Canvass Counts of the Small (or large) Kind

Post by sfxbecks »

Hi guys! This is a topic that I would love some advice on! This is for the swap so I dont want to give too much of it away...but I started my swap piece...realised it was too big for the size limit when I was about half way through...so I decided to get a smaller canvass...I went from an 18ct to 28...and not only is it proving really difficult to see where the needle is going, it also looks messy...even after many checks to see if the needle is in fact in the right place!

Anyway...I'll get to the point...I know some folks have used 28ct canvass on here...whats the best method to work with it? :help:

Im really tempted to just give my swapper the one on 18ct and break the rules! It's my first pattern I made and my first swap! But if I can make the 28ct look ok then I'll be good and send that!

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: Canvass Counts of the Small (or large) Kind

Post by Knittenkitten »

First thing to do is make sure you're using a frame for 28ct. It is notoriously easy to warp if you don't. Second, there are two ways to stitch your pattern on it. You can do it over 2 threads which will make it seem like you're working on 14ct. Then you could work it over 1 thread which will give you a size that is half the size of 14ct (did that make any sense :confused:).

Then there is the number of threads you are trying to stitch with. If you're stitching over 2 threads, then using 2 strand ( or a double length if using 1 strand) works fine for coverage. However if you're stitching over 1 thread, then using 1 strand is better as it won't warp the threads so much as you're pulling the needle through.

Hope that helps.
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Mostly the only difference I've found is you MUST use some sort of hoop or frame; some aida you can hold without one and it will end up looking ok, but with smaller grids it needs the even tension. Also, don't pull too hard on the thread while stitching or you could slip between the threads of the fabric if that makes sense.

Personally, I'd go over the size limit if you're not happy with the small one, as long as it isn't extreme. I like to think of them as size "guidelines" :)

sfxbecks
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by sfxbecks »

Thanks guys! :thumbsup: Ive only been using 1 strand of thread...but it looks like I need to invest in a hoop! Ive never had to use one before as I've never gone smaller than 18ct!

drdenman
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by drdenman »

You should check your local thrift store for hoops. I've gotten several really cheap that way, including a Q-Snap. Big places like Goodwill rarely have stuff, but the small places that more old ladies go to almost always have one or two.

sfxbecks
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by sfxbecks »

Ah cool thanks!! I know a haberdashery nearby and I think they would have hoops as they sell canvass and threads!

Even though I've decided to give the larger one to my swapper...I promised my sister one...so she can have the smaller one...I start uni in 5 days and probably wouldnt have time to do a smaller one in that time! Almost done with the big one though...so can send it off soon! :)

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

omg not using a hoop on 28 count - ugh. I love the 2 pieces I've done 1:1 on 28 count but they were hell to pull off, and I have better than 20:20 vision for things less than a foot away!

I would also suggest investing in a good craft light. Either one of the expensive "full-spectrum craft set-ups" or you can make one yourself for under $40 USD with a good lamp (with a reflective shade that can be aimed) and a full spectrum CFL bulb. I did this and it helps with stitching a lot!

I also made my swap pattern too large - but I can't stitch it on 28 count 1-over-1: too many details were getting lost (I should add, I'm not doing cross stitch). So I reworked my idea and am actually pretty happy with how my new pattern came out. Good luck, and I feel your pain!
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |