Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Using 20+ count aida

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
kasura_iome
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Using 20+ count aida

Post by kasura_iome »

Is using aida that is 20+ count harder to work with?
I just did a stitching on 18 count for the first time, and I didn't notice too much difference other than the size of the finished work.
I want to do a stitching that I've the pattern for a while now, but I want to use a larger count to shrink it a bit. I'm thinking 20 or 22 count, but I want to know a little more about it before I buy it, and trash it because I didn't know how to use it. I'm saying this because I saw someone on here using a 28(I believe) count, and they said it is very fragile, and they had to be extra careful while stitching, so I'm wondering if these two counts are the same.
Deviantart? Why yes, I do have one! = 3
http://kasuraiome.deviantart.com

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: Using 20+ count aida

Post by Knittenkitten »

I'm currently using 22ct fabric for a couple of my projects. It's still made the same way as the smaller counts are so there isn't too much of a difference for me. The only thing I would caution you about though is that you might want to get a smaller needle and to use either 1 thread for a full cross (X) or 2 threads for a half cross (/).
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Agreeing with Knittenkitten in that it's made in the same way but wanted to add that you may find some types of evenweave a little more fragile to work with. I'm currently working on 22ct Hardanger and the weave is less robust than an aida of say 18ct.
As Knittenkitten said, best to use a smaller needle and less strands of thread. I would also suggest stitching a little slower (especially when pulling the thread through) but other than these things it's pretty much the same once you get used to it!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

As BMH says, its less about the count and more about the type of fabric. Aida takes a lot of punishment and will happily take a lot of pulling without getting too out of whack. Evenweave and linens can go wonky if you use the same amount of force with the higher counts. I always suggest to do some test runs on any new fabric just to see how big the hole your needle will make, whether it takes as many strands, and how much pushing you can do on it while its pulled taut. I find when I use higher weave fabrics in hoops my fingers can be enough warp the fabric, whereas if I use my Millennium Frame its ok.

kasura_iome
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by kasura_iome »

Thank you for all the help!
Deviantart? Why yes, I do have one! = 3
http://kasuraiome.deviantart.com

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

I was planning on using (I think...) 22ct evenweave to do the Hogwarts crest pattern, but after doing a couple of trial runs with it on some smaller projects I tossed the idea in and just used 18ct aida instead. I found the evenweave annoyingly soft to work with and it became warped a little too easily for my liking. Having said that, I did have good results with it on the smaller patterns, I just didn't think I'd be able to handle it for larger projects.
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/