Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Tarnished needles

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
smoni
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Tarnished needles

Post by smoni »

So, the needles that I use for my sewing seem to tarnish after a month or so, particularly if I use them often! This makes them 'squeaky' (for want of a better term) when using it, and it does actually make sewing with it more awkward and more difficult...

My question is this: Is there a way to prevent my needle from tarnishing? Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just cheap needles? In which case, any recommendations please?

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Tarnished needles

Post by blackmageheart »

I use gold plated needles, they are much better than the cheapy ones. I'd recommend them!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Gold plating helps, but caring for your needles, any needle, will make any needle last longer.

My suggestion is to invest in a little thing of emery. If you've ever had/seen those Tomato pincushions that have a little strawberry hanging off it, its what's in the strawberry. Basically, you push a needle in one side and pull it out the other and it shines/sharpens up your needles. It works with gold needles too. You either need to get into the habit of buying fresh needles, which is doable, or get one of these (and it doesn't have to be the tomato variety, they come in all shapes/sizes) and regularly pass your needles in them. It will also keep your needles sharper, which I know isn't usually what people look for in cross stitch, but it won't create a point where there isn't one already so you should be good to go. Here's a nifty discussion about it from my favorite stitcher.

It's worth mentioning that there's a difference between tarnished and burred. If you have a burr at the end of your needle, you should really replace it.

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Thanks! Always wondered what that was for. I think I knew at one point but forgot in my absence from sewing. That really helped my dingy needle as well!

smoni
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by smoni »

Thanks for the advice. Now I've just gotta find a place that sells one, which won't be easy around here!

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

I was wondering why those pincushions always had a random strawberry attached. Now I know!
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by lcockitt »

I saw this thread the other day, and had a quick scout around online to see if I could find a pincushion with strawberry, but struggled finding one in the UK that was reasonably priced. Today, I've been to the town hall, to have a look at a patchwork and quilt exhibition. OMG. There are some majorly talented folk in my town, the quilts were exquisite, with some amazing details! Anyhoo, I was having a nosy in the fabrics they had for sale, and what did I spy a bag of? Pincushions with strawberry attachments. For 80p. I quickly grabbed one, and came back to tell everyone! (And yes, I did buy a bit of fabric as well...) I will let you know how my needles get on with the strawberry once I've had chance to try it out!
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/

SuperTina320
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by SuperTina320 »

The whole strawberry thing is freaking me out. I never knew what they were! My life has changed forever. Of course, now I need to find one...

smoni
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by smoni »

Only just noticed this - I found a strawberry/tomato pin cushion (having never seen them before) in my local John Lewis. Not expensive either...