Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

minature patterns

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
Siva
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

minature patterns

Post by Siva »

I want to try making miniature images about 1-2 square inches for the finished size using silk gauze and petit point techniques (it looks pretty similar to plastic canvas techniques), but cannot figure out how to size the images appropriately using KG Chart. Right now I don't have a specific image, but everything I have tested has been a failure. Does anyone have experience with this or any advice on how to start?

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: minature patterns

Post by Kareesh »

What I do is know what fabric I'll be using. For example if I'll be using 14, 16, or 18 count. To figure out how many stitches are in a 2-inch piece from 16 count, take the count times the number of inches. So for my example piece it would be 32 stitches. Go into KG Chart and make a new project with the dimensions that you figured out. You can give or take a few stitches.

At least, that's what I tend to do. :) Hope that helps.
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

Siva
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Siva »

I was trying that but I'm still not great with KGchart. Will this work even if I'm using a 70 count fabric?

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

I would assume so, but I've never really worked on anything other than aida or higher than 18 count, so I can't say for 100% sure.

June List
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

How would you even stitch on 70 count? Seems like it would be impossible to separate the fibers. Generally I think people draw their pattern onto the fabric and then sew on top of that if you're doing non-counted embroidery.

Siva
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Siva »

This is for counted embroidery. It uses a fabric called silk gauze that comes in 40 count to 112 count, depending on how crazy you want to go with your project. It is mostly used to make needle point items and rugs for doll houses to scale but I'm interested in trying to make my own miniature creations. So far its been hard to find resources on it but it looks like I'll need to order the fabric from either Canada or the UK, and buy a magnifying glass. Idk if I'll go crazy on my first attempt due to the tiny size but I'm really interested in trying it out.

Here's what the fabric looks like, its not a soft flimsy fabric that you would assume gauze to be, but closer to the plastic canvas people use.
silk gauze.png
silk gauze.png (148.54 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
An example of petit point by needleandthread.com
micro-cluny-tapestry-16.jpg
micro-cluny-tapestry-16.jpg (41.06 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
And the completed image, only 5 inches wide!
micro-cluny-tapestry-29.jpg
micro-cluny-tapestry-29.jpg (53.18 KiB) Viewed 5126 times

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

The counts that are used, are they like 40 stitches per inch like aida, or do they do the counts differently? If they're different, than the way I suggested wouldn't work. It looks very interesting.

June List
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Wow, that looks intense. Best of luck trying it!! I've stitched on some 30-32 count, but I can't even imagine 70. Magnifying glass needed, for sure! :blinky

Siva
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Siva »

From the info I've found it's measured the same as aida. Here is a test pattern I've made, its pretty simple, but I think it'll be a good start. I'm going to start with 40 count at first so this image should come out as 2 inches wide and an 1 1/2 inches across while still maintaining detail. If that test is successful I'll try the 70 count, so this image will be just slightly over an inch wide.
cthulhu.png
cthulhu.png (207.73 KiB) Viewed 5116 times

Siva
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Siva »

I finally bought the fabric!!!! Im super excited to try this out, but I have a feeling it will start trying my patience relatively fast. I got 40, 58, and 75 count fabric all 4" by 8". Ill start with the 40 and work my way up to see which I like and if any will work for what I have planned. Once I get started I'll make sure to post pics!