Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Saggy scroll frame?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Saggy scroll frame?

Post by rockinwithrammstein »

I am pulling my hair out with this. I just bought a scroll frame and have my canvas in it, but for the life of me, I can't get the sides taut! They are saggy and it's really frustrating. Is it supposed to be like that? How do I fix it? :help:
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Mega Peacock (page 3 of 40)
Sophie's Universe

Visit my blog http://vmfwbojtte.blogspot.com :)

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: Saggy scroll frame?

Post by Knittenkitten »

I've always had a problem with my canvas staying taut with a scroll frame. That's why I use a hoop or Q-snaps. Much easier to keep everything taut. As for your particular problem, I would suggest sewing a strip of fabric to the top and bottom of your canvas, basting the fabric to each end, and use the frame as normal. It might help but one of the others that actually use a scroll frame may have a better suggestion.
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Thanks, I ended up handing it to my mom and you know what she did? She pulled the masking tape I used to keep my edges from fraying and told me to try again and then it was perfect -_- I guess I can't tape my edges?
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Sophie's Universe

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Knittenkitten »

Ahh. That might help. I never tape my edges so I never thought that others might.
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I've never taped my edges with a scroll frame so no idea how that would affect it. But I do know that people who seriously want tight frames will usually sew on a piece of scrap to the edges and lace the edges to the sides once the frame is rolled tightly. You can still break it down, put it back up easily enough like that, but you do need to re-lace when you move to a new section to work on if you do it that way.

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Eliste wrote:I've never taped my edges with a scroll frame so no idea how that would affect it. But I do know that people who seriously want tight frames will usually sew on a piece of scrap to the edges and lace the edges to the sides once the frame is rolled tightly. You can still break it down, put it back up easily enough like that, but you do need to re-lace when you move to a new section to work on if you do it that way.
Yeah, my mother suggested that, too, but I didn't need it. She told me the size of my frame may be why I am having a problem, too. I have an 18 inch one...I guess the longer the dowel rods, the more likely it is to be loose...?
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Sophie's Universe

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Yep; I have to baste the ends of mine around the sides of my 18" scroll frame to get it workable.

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

I guess that's what I get for buying a scroll frame before knowing anything about them, right? lol...I guess I just love my hoop too much. Thanks for the tips, everyone :)
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Sophie's Universe

Kujikiri
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Kujikiri »

I have this problem too, and it's really annoying. I did, however, find a minor solution for this. It's not a perfect fix, but it helps to keep some tension in the sides. If you have enough of a border around your work area, it should be tight enough to work with.

What I did was I cut one of those exercise bands to the width of the scroll, then I lined it up with the fabric a few turns before it would normally be taut. I do that with both ends. The rubber grips the cloth, and helps keep it from being loose.

The only thing is, I don't know how that affects non-basted or serged fabric in the long run. I've only run a bead of nail polish along the edges to help keep the Aida from running, but that's it. I don't know if it'll permanently stretch my fabric or what. But I suppose that's something that could happen even just with the scroll frame.

Truut
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Truut »

sometimes the problem is that the holes where the dowels go in to are just slightly too large (because a 5/8th dowel will not always be 5/8th of an inch :/ ), and no matter how much you tighten the screws it won't hold. try wrapping the part of the dowel that will be in the hole with a layer or two of electrical tape. i have to make the holes in my frames 1/16th of an inch smaller just to compensate for the dowels not being uniform.

another thing i think i might try soon for my 28 inch frame is to get some of those shelf liners that are grippy and adhering them onto the inside of the dowels where it will grip the cloth better in the middle of my project where the map i'm doing is sagging.
WIPs:
Super Mario World Map: 25ish %?
Super Mario Mini Maps: Yoshi= restart. . .oy