Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Vinyl Aida

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
Clarington
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Vinyl Aida

Post by Clarington »

A cross stitch magazine I was looking through this morning mentioned vinyl aida. I'd never heard of it before but it looks like it could be great for items like ornaments and magnets - really anything where you want a nice, clean, cut edge.
Has anyone ever tried the stuff? I'm thinking of ordering some but I'd love some opinions on what it's like to work with first. Does it feel plastic-y? Does the needle slide through it nicely or is there resistance? Any thoughts at all would be great.
I'm gettin' bloggy: http://craftscapades.com/

Hellfire
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Vinyl Aida

Post by Hellfire »

Looks like it's the same stuff as plastic canvas.

If it is the same stuff I have used it a few times. Made earrings and necklaces with it. Got pics on here somewhere.
Recently made my bf a dead pool bookmark using the stuff too.
To me it feels slightly plasticy but nice and bendy. I found the needle went through the holes quite easily, all depends on how any strands you use.
I have a 14 count so have been using 3 strands with it.

Hope that helps.
WIP: Epic Pokemon generation III page 6of 30
Disney Princesses: page 2 of far to many. Lol.
SAL sampler
Disney birth sampler.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Vinyl aida is like plastic canvas but it's thinner and more pliable. I haven't tried the vinyl myself yet but I can imagine it'll be much like plastic canvas for stitching on!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

katdun
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by katdun »

If you've ever seen the kits for the coffee mugs you can put stitching into, those use the vinyl aida. It's flexible but sturdy - firmer than regular aida but not as stiff as plastic canvas. It's kinda like the 22 count hardanger fabric (only plastic-y) - two threads running horizontally and two threads vertically woven together. It stitches about the same as that too - don't pull your stitches too tight or they'll get hidden in the middle of the weave. You shouldn't need a hoop either. Hope that helps! :wave:
Current Projects:
Pen Pals!
Sprite Stitch Swap!
Learning to crochet!

Clarington
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Clarington »

Thanks for the replies everyone. That's exactly the type of stuff I wanted to know. I'll likely pick some up at some point and will let you know how it goes when I do!
I'm gettin' bloggy: http://craftscapades.com/

braxyBRAX
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by braxyBRAX »

I love vinyl aida, though I haven't used it for ages. It's very easy to stitch in hand (which is saying something, for me, since I only have one hand haha). And I find the texture is really nice.

I started a cityscape bookmark ages ago but haven't finished.. I think I still have some material left. I'll have to find it and figure out what to make :]
Current Projects
Epic Pokemon gen 2
All at sea (cross stitcher magazine)
Land Before Time
Hogwarts Crest

Read all about my stitching at handmade wombat