Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

How many strands ?

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
Livingdeadgirl
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

How many strands ?

Post by Livingdeadgirl »

I am currently on 14ct using 3 strands. I know this is more than I should but I didn't know any better when I started. I attempted to switch to two but I didn't like the cover.

SO what are you using? and on what count?
just curious!
---livingdeadgirl---

LinkIsMyHomeboy
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Re: How many strands ?

Post by LinkIsMyHomeboy »

12ct-3 strands
14ct-2 strands
16ct-2 strands

I haven't used any other counts to determine what I would use.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

On my 14-18 counts, I've been using 2 strands (except for this one project, where on the 1/2 stitches, I'm supposed to use 3-4 strands for effect). I have a couple of projects I hope to start soon that are on 30something count evenweave, so I'm planning on using 1 thread on those.
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Delver01
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Delver01 »

I guess I use more stands than most.
14 ct - 3
16 ct - 3
18 ct - 2
then I don't use one stand until I get up to about 28 count.
I don't like being able to see the fabric between my stitches, but then again, I stitch pretty tight.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

I started out on 14 count with 3 strands, but when I moved to 18 count I dropped to 2 strands. Since then, I've only done 2-strand work for 14, 16, and 18 count (in part because I switched to doubling one strand instead of using individual strands, which makes 3-strand work infeasible).
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

I tend to do 3 on 14 count, 2 on 16 and 18 count, and I think 1 for the rest (I normally don't go much higher). I like my stitches to be full and fat, so that's why I do 3.
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

RMDC wrote:I started out on 14 count with 3 strands, but when I moved to 18 count I dropped to 2 strands. Since then, I've only done 2-strand work for 14, 16, and 18 count (in part because I switched to doubling one strand instead of using individual strands, which makes 3-strand work infeasible).
This, although I sometimes switch back to 3 on 14ct for that fuller look. :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

blackmageheart wrote:
RMDC wrote:I started out on 14 count with 3 strands, but when I moved to 18 count I dropped to 2 strands. Since then, I've only done 2-strand work for 14, 16, and 18 count (in part because I switched to doubling one strand instead of using individual strands, which makes 3-strand work infeasible).
This, although I sometimes switch back to 3 on 14ct for that fuller look. :)
Yep yep; i'm in the club. Used to use 3 for 14; now I use 2. while not as "full", i think it shows off the craftsmanship a bit more, especially if you take the time to make the strands lay flat. Now using 3 just looks bulky to me. It's a personal preference though.

no_need
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by no_need »

I mostly use 18 count with 2 strands. I'm another one who likes a full coverage appearance to my work. I rarely work with lower count Asia because I find there's inherently more fabric that shows through even if I use 3 strands.
Current projects: 'Heroes' sketch, experiments with surface embroidery.

"We have to build the republic of heaven where we are, because for us there is no elsewhere."
--Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass