Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

what does the forum need?

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
johloh
Site Admin

Re: what does the forum need?

Post by johloh »

Pyper wrote:Is there a way to search the forum for posts with attachments?
there is not currently. good idea, but I'm not really sure how to do this...
Image "I can't drive, so I'm gonna walk all over you!"

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

johloh wrote:
there is likely no easy way to do this. I know a bit about how search functions work and while it is possible I don't think it would be worth it. Turning on Boolean search and editing the stop words list are easy to do and would help a lot but I don't know how much control you have over it. it depends a lot on the software....
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

kuja.girl wrote:
johloh wrote:
there is likely no easy way to do this. I know a bit about how search functions work and while it is possible I don't think it would be worth it. Turning on Boolean search and editing the stop words list are easy to do and would help a lot but I don't know how much control you have over it. it depends a lot on the software....
I had recently looked into this actually. I think the pattern wiki might not be the best way of doing patterns. Does anyone know of any free database makers out there we could try?

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

Lord Libidan wrote:I had recently looked into this actually. I think the pattern wiki might not be the best way of doing patterns. Does anyone know of any free database makers out there we could try?
Trust me, you do not want to set up a database for this. Getting a database set up is time consuming and complicated. You would also have to have some way for the database to communicate with a website - also time consuming and complicated. I'm not saying it can't be done - I've helped build and edit similar projects - I just don't think it's a good solution given that we only have what, a few hundred patterns at most?

Frankly something like delicious.com might be better since it lets you both organize and tag each bookmark. It's not perfect but I think it would be a more "complete" way to organize the patterns. Let me know if you have any other questions about this - I have a couple of other ideas but I didn't want to bore everyone ;)
(I found out that getting a degree in library and info science means you like organizing information but it also tends to be confusing or boring to a lot of people lol)
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

kuja.girl wrote:
Lord Libidan wrote:I had recently looked into this actually. I think the pattern wiki might not be the best way of doing patterns. Does anyone know of any free database makers out there we could try?
Trust me, you do not want to set up a database for this. Getting a database set up is time consuming and complicated. You would also have to have some way for the database to communicate with a website - also time consuming and complicated. I'm not saying it can't be done - I've helped build and edit similar projects - I just don't think it's a good solution given that we only have what, a few hundred patterns at most?

Frankly something like delicious.com might be better since it lets you both organize and tag each bookmark. It's not perfect but I think it would be a more "complete" way to organize the patterns. Let me know if you have any other questions about this - I have a couple of other ideas but I didn't want to bore everyone ;)
(I found out that getting a degree in library and info science means you like organizing information but it also tends to be confusing or boring to a lot of people lol)
I dunno, I'm quite interested in our ideas... What were you thinking?

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

Ok forget Delicious - they are getting rid of the feature where you can save sets of bookmarks so that won't work.

There are a few others similar services that might work better. I can set up examples if any of them sound useful.
  • Diigo - the updated version of Delicious which hasn't gotten very much press. Has many many more features and I've used it a bit and I think it would work for what you have in mind. Allows social groups, tagging, and bookmark groups. It also gives a photo preview (not sure how the photos will work with the forum).
  • Bibsonomy - lets you make groups of bookmarks and groups of collaborators. I may be biased as it was made for librarians... which tells me that it probably is pretty robust but not necessarily visually appealing.
  • Pintrest - we could actually use this to organize patterns. The positive part is that it's visual; the negative is that it's very public, requires real name registration for users, and you cannot easily organize bookmarks with multiple categories.

Aridesh
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Aridesh »

With Pinterest, there's nothing preventing a person from putting the same pin in two different boards. So, for items that fall under multiple categories, the pin could just be repined into another board. Not saying that we should or shouldn't use Pinterest, just suggesting a way that it could work. :nod
Current WIPs: Baby's Christmas Stocking
Shop: fromarideshwithlove.tictail.com
Blog: fromarideshwithlove.wordpress.com
Most progress pictures are on my Instagram. http://www.instagram.com/craftyaridesh

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

Aridesh wrote:With Pinterest, there's nothing preventing a person from putting the same pin in two different boards. So, for items that fall under multiple categories, the pin could just be repined into another board. Not saying that we should or shouldn't use Pinterest, just suggesting a way that it could work. :nod
We have a Pintrest board -just one at the moment - where you referring to that? If you have ideas about it, or want to help me currate it please use the thread here.
I haven't found a ton of things to put up lately, Pintrest hs been flooded with Dr. Who and super heroes lately...

DuckyBelkins
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by DuckyBelkins »

Where'd the chat go D:
Image Image Image Image

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »