Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Selling project pieces?

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
BadgerSensei
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Selling project pieces?

Post by BadgerSensei »

I've been considering starting to sell my cross stitching work or even doing commissions. I had some concerns and questions about this and if anyone's ever done anything like this before, input would be much appreciated.

Question 1: Would it be possible to use someone else's patterns for commissions and give citations to the person who created the pattern and/or direct the person who is purchasing the work from me to the source of the pattern? OR would it be better to just invest in a pattern making software myself and make my own patterns?

Question 2: What would I possibly charge for the finished works? I count my progress in sessions not hours, where I make a note of every time I work on it for more than 2 hours. I don't know what good price points would be. My initial idea would be like 5 dollars per time I sit down and work on the projects.

Question 3: is this even a good idea? Would it be better to just give the projects away as gifts even if I don't have anyone in mind for them or have any real attachment to the finished products?

I just have no idea where to start for something like this. Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Current project:
Epic Pokemon Gen 1 1/30 pages complete

Standby projects:
Ken Ro Kuen
Kinkakuji

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Selling project pieces?

Post by blackmageheart »

Q1. Yes, if the person who made the pattern has given permission to do so. BUT I would recommend making your own patterns as you'll likely come up with your own ideas and style! My advice here would be to get PCStitch, it's like $20 with the discount code (and there's always one knocking about, I'll see if I can find one for you)

Q2. You can either come up with an hourly rate, session rate or a price per stitch rate. (I charge by stitch, with rates that apply depending on how many total stitches there are plus small fees for extras like framing etc.) I strongly advise you don't go the per session route, as it's not very exact.

Q3. Meh, it's sometimes a good idea and sometimes not. Personally I've found that I can sell really unique pieces at geek shows and conventions, but I'll not sell anything at all at a regular craft show. Anything I don't have a specific purpose for goes on my Etsy store, but these days I generally don't stitch to sell unless it's a commission.

All those questions/answers aside, what you need to really ask yourself is a) what's your reason for selling and b) what do you hope to get out of it?
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

BadgerSensei
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by BadgerSensei »

blackmageheart wrote:My advice here would be to get PCStitch, it's like $20 with the discount code (and there's always one knocking about, I'll see if I can find one for you)
I'd appreciate that. Lol I've never made my own patterns before.
blackmageheart wrote:You can either come up with an hourly rate, session rate or a price per stitch rate.
What would be a good price per stitch? Like 50 cents or something?
blackmageheart wrote:a) what's your reason for selling and b) what do you hope to get out of it?
I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur in some kind of way. Even in a small way. I also do cross stitching as a way to relax and unwind so it helps if I have something to work on. It makes it so I have too many finished projects with no homes for them and I kinda want people to share in the joy I get from making them.
Current project:

Standby projects:
Ken Ro Kuen
Kinkakuji

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

BadgerSensei wrote:What would be a good price per stitch? Like 50 cents or something?
It can be tricky to make your prices reasonable while still making sure you get enough for the work you put in! Personally, my rates start at 1p a stitch. So if I make something that's 1200 stitches, which I can do pretty quickly, that's £12.00 before any extras.
1p or 1 cent or whatever people's currency is a pretty standard rate among those people I know who charge per stitch. You can add on fees later as well, like maybe a couple of $/£ for special materials, dyeing, framing, or using a lot of colours etc.
Whatever you decide to charge, just remember to be upfront about costs with your customers :)
BadgerSensei wrote:I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur in some kind of way. Even in a small way. I also do cross stitching as a way to relax and unwind so it helps if I have something to work on. It makes it so I have too many finished projects with no homes for them and I kinda want people to share in the joy I get from making them.
These are the reasons I hear most from people I've talked with over the years. That's not a bad thing, though!
Here's where your personal tastes come into play, see. You make things YOU love, and there will be someone out there who loves the same thing. I've made all kinds of obscure stuff and still people would buy it, because they'd never seen any art/craft work of the thing they loved!

All I can really say is give it a try, and see how it goes for you :)

Oh and here's one of the PCStitch codes, it should still work: PCS11UPG
(It'll get you the latest version of PCStitch for $19.95!)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

BadgerSensei
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by BadgerSensei »

blackmageheart wrote:
BadgerSensei wrote:What would be a good price per stitch? Like 50 cents or something?
It can be tricky to make your prices reasonable while still making sure you get enough for the work you put in! Personally, my rates start at 1p a stitch. So if I make something that's 1200 stitches, which I can do pretty quickly, that's £12.00 before any extras.
1p or 1 cent or whatever people's currency is a pretty standard rate among those people I know who charge per stitch. You can add on fees later as well, like maybe a couple of $/£ for special materials, dyeing, framing, or using a lot of colours etc.
Whatever you decide to charge, just remember to be upfront about costs with your customers :)
Added question: how do you calculate stitch count? I see a lot of patterns that have "so many stitches x so many stitches". I wouldn't know how to calculate that when some patterns aren't perfectly square and stuff.
Current project:

Standby projects:
Ken Ro Kuen
Kinkakuji

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

BadgerSensei wrote:Added question: how do you calculate stitch count? I see a lot of patterns that have "so many stitches x so many stitches". I wouldn't know how to calculate that when some patterns aren't perfectly square and stuff.
When I used to use KGchart, it would tell you how many total stitches there were in your pattern. PCStitch doesn't seem to have that (although I'm still using 10 and I was hoping they might have added it in 11) but it does tell you how many stitches of each colour your pattern has, so I just add those up. Nothing more sophisticated than that, I'm afraid! :D

BadgerSensei
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by BadgerSensei »

They dont have it in 11. But they do have the total for each color. So that works. Thanks for the help! If I have any more questions I'll ask. Haha
Current project:

Standby projects:
Ken Ro Kuen
Kinkakuji

JulieK
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by JulieK »

Added question: how do you calculate stitch count? I see a lot of patterns that have "so many stitches x so many stitches". I wouldn't know how to calculate that when some patterns aren't perfectly square and stuff.
First multiply together the number of stitches in the width and length. So if a pattern says its 20 stitches wide by 10 stitches high it would be 20x10=200

then times that by your penny so 200 x 1 = 200 pennies and divide by 100 to gt your pounds 200/100 = £2

Do have a good research around copyright laws as these would apply if using patterns which aren't your own but also doing cross stitches of copyright characters/images e.g. marvel superheros, zelda or using someone else photo to make the pattern from.

Julie