Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

APR-JUN: Series of Challenges!

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges
blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

APR-JUN: Series of Challenges!

Post by blackmageheart »

Or, as my programmer brother kept calling it, nested challenges.

Welcome to the weirdest challenge ever devised in the darkest and frankly strangest corners of my mind/hat. :wiz
You will need: a sense of humour (optional), creativity and crafting fortitude!

APRIL
---------
Your first task will be to make a character or item. Maybe a character WITH an item! Borrow a sprite, mix parts or make it up, whatever you like! :D

MAY
-------
Second task is to give an action or event to your 1st month piece. Something happening to or around your character/item. Such as magic, an explosion, a Pokeball, anything goes :D

JUNE
--------
Thirdly, give your 2 previous pieces a background - a level or stage, if you will. Borrow something, mix stuff, make it up if you want!

Examples:
1. I make my custom FFV Black Mage sprite, with a hadouken, on a Mario level.
2. I make a FF-style sprite of myself, throwing a Pokeball, on a Sonic stage.

Silly examples, yes! Would I stitch them? Yes! :P

You can start the first part now! The rest - you can plan ahead, and buy your supplies in now, but you must not start your 2nd phase until May, and the 3rd until June. There will be votes at the end of each month, and the three winners will be put together (using my oh-so-leet Photoshop skillz) to make the weirdest game ever created!
If you wish only to take part in one or two months, you can do so! You'll still be eligible for the winner's star (and that damn strange mash up).

RULES
-----------
Size: overall no bigger than 64x64
Any material and craft welcome!
You can mix crafts too!
You can have all three parts on the same material - eg. part 1, 2 and 3 on a 64x64 piece of aida.
OR
You can do them on separate materials so that you can move the pieces around. (Characters etc on plastic canvas, you get the idea!)

I hope that all makes sense, I'm terrible at explaining things!
Any questions, throw them my way!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: APR-JUN: Series of Challenges!

Post by kuja.girl »

This sounds amazing. Count me in.
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

We're going to see some legendary stuff from this one! :wiz

There are definitely some people here who can spin a superior visual joke - and having three months to watch it unfold will be epic.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Yes. All over this.

:clap:

LinkIsMyHomeboy
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by LinkIsMyHomeboy »

Does each "stage" need to be from a different game than the last ones? Like in your example, you used FFV, Sonic, Pokemon, and Mario but if I wanted, could I create a custom scene from Mario using Mario characters, backgrounds, and items?

And when you say "64x64" is that inches/cm/pixels/stitches/something else?

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

LinkIsMyHomeboy wrote:Does each "stage" need to be from a different game than the last ones? Like in your example, you used FFV, Sonic, Pokemon, and Mario but if I wanted, could I create a custom scene from Mario using Mario characters, backgrounds, and items?
Totally fine!
LinkIsMyHomeboy wrote:And when you say "64x64" is that inches/cm/pixels/stitches/something else?
Pixels, which would usually also be stitches too. :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

LinkIsMyHomeboy
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by LinkIsMyHomeboy »

blackmageheart wrote:
LinkIsMyHomeboy wrote:Does each "stage" need to be from a different game than the last ones? Like in your example, you used FFV, Sonic, Pokemon, and Mario but if I wanted, could I create a custom scene from Mario using Mario characters, backgrounds, and items?
Totally fine!
LinkIsMyHomeboy wrote:And when you say "64x64" is that inches/cm/pixels/stitches/something else?
Pixels, which would usually also be stitches too. :D
Thanks for the quick response! :D

Myu
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Myu »

I love the idea :D but 64x64 is very tiny :shock: I don't know if I can fit the 3 parts on it.
WIPs :
- Portal icons and Aperture Science logo
- The Name of the Doctor

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Myu wrote:I love the idea :D but 64x64 is very tiny :shock: I don't know if I can fit the 3 parts on it.
It is quite small, yes. I didn't want to make it too big as you only have a month for each part and I know that sometimes backgrounds can be hard to do in a short time.
I hope you can find a way to fit things together!

La Ptite Bete
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by La Ptite Bete »

That sounds great !!! Can't wait to create my pattern... :clapping: Thanks, BMH !!
My blog
Current cross stitch projects :
None.