anyone got any ideas?
Image "I can't drive, so I'm gonna walk all over you!"

jelibe
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Re: Theme for NOV / DEC Challenge?

Post by jelibe »

Christmas and New Year. :nod
Image http://jelibe-spritegirl.blogspot.com/ Visit my little crafty blog!!

Sauteed.Pikachu
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Sauteed.Pikachu »

Yea!
That does sound like a good idea.
I'm all for it.
Radda Radda Radda...

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

I have been itching to get started on something!

Instead of Christmas/New Years, make it an overall holiday theme. Depict your favorite gaming character in a holiday scene would be my choice.

Anything with the holidays may take a little extra time, so maybe it should be announced soon so we get a head start. ;)

jelibe
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by jelibe »

would be great in any craft form this way.
Image http://jelibe-spritegirl.blogspot.com/ Visit my little crafty blog!!

johloh
Site Admin

Post by johloh »

yeah i wouldnt want to get denominational...any holiday that falls during nov, dec, or jan?
Image "I can't drive, so I'm gonna walk all over you!"

Icedevimon13
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Icedevimon13 »

Meh, political correctness in forums. LOL. Sorry, I just don't see how it's a bad thing to recognize the actual holidays of particular religions. Maybe instead of skirting around the issue you give a list of the major 'holidays' to work with, and the participant can choose one? There's only a handful, really. And thinking about it, would any of the Jewish holidays fit well or be represented by game characters? I don't know much about them, so I can't say for sure. Just seems unlikely except with certain games.

I would say if you want to do holidays use Halloween and Christmas (and thanksgiving). The true meaning of these celebrations have been lost in today's society anyway, so it's really not a big deal to use their names, and they are the 'major celebrations' of the two months. (well Halloween is the right before November, but it leads to the holiday on the 1st of that month...)

But whatever you choose will be fine in the end, chances are I still won't enter so yeah lol, do whatever you think is right.
Image Image

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

The reason I suggested non denominational was that was someone that was of another faith that wanted to make something that meant something to them could. There should be no problem if you want to make a nice Christmas themed craft, but you shouldn't limit others in the same way.

There is nothing wrong with recognizing holidays in one religion, but in a public contest, you shouldn't limit everyone to what they want to do. All I did was suggest if we do a holiday based theme, to call it just that.

Icedevimon13
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Icedevimon13 »

I wasn't trying to limit it O_O

Did it come across like that? I didn't mean it to. That last paragraph was a suggestion if there was to be limit.

But I'm all for allowing the use of any holiday/religious ceremony.

I guess the point of my post was to express my annoyance with the whole use of 'holiday' instead of religious celebration, because that's what they all are. It drives me crazy hearing employees at places spout "Happy holidays!" instead of "Happy Hannukah (spelling that wrong I'm sure)", "Happy Kwanzaa", or "Merry Christmas" on or around the particular day. Often I will NOT leave a store until the employee drops the holiday bit and says the actual celebration that is approaching. The importance of the different celebrations get pushed to the side when they are all lumped as mere 'holidays'. Bah.

Sorry if that came off differently than I intended it to. To reword, I like the idea of the theme, but I don't think it should be called a 'holiday' theme just to be politically correct. That is why I suggested having a list off all the different celebration days instead of just saying 'pick a holiday'. That way you would be picking the actual day of celebration, instead of a term put forth by the government.
Image Image

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

Ok, I understand now. ;) I don't know if you came across that way or if it was me picking up on something that wasn't there.

Either way, it looks like all of us are in favor so far of some sort of holiday based theme. It is up to Joh now! I have so many ideas if we do this theme.