Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

JUNE/JULY Challenge - Royalty!

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges
Miss Clawful
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: JUNE/JULY Challenge - Royalty!

Post by Miss Clawful »

After finishing my custom stitch of Princess Toadstool I thought to do one for Zelda as well. Looking around trying to find another female character that would be similarly sized (because I kind of wanted them to be around the same size) I came upon the trainer/coach from Tecmo World Wrestling - she'd be perfect! I spent some time looking at many pics of Zelda on the internet, official as well as fan art, ended up staying basic and true to her in game sprite as much as possible.

Starting with the woman from Tecmo World Wrestling I first decreased her size (I think it was 70%), added Piccolo's ear from one of the Dragon Ball Z games, changed her hair color as well as style, added a jewel on her forehead. Another character I thought would have made a great Zelda was during the intro of the Famicom game Dream Master, the girl, a princess I'd suppose (they usually are) with very little editing could have been a sleeping Zelda, but I wanted to put a bit more work into this (moreso than I had with Princess Toadstool).

I ended up instead taking a few locks of the sleeping maiden's hair instead to give my Princess Zelda nice wavy hair. Messed around with her hair style as well as face for quite a bit of edits. Then I thought to give her a thick necklace decorated in Triforce fashion, as well as adding the chain around the crown of her head so it didn't look like the jewel was fastened to her forehead like a sticker. I spent a long time with her dress all throughout the edits making changes up to the end - the entire atire was very difficult because even though I started with another character's body as a template (first the wrestling girl then Nadia), after a time I was on my own with the details.

At one point I thought to give her a body, that didn't work out even though I spent quite some hours on it. Scrapped that idea, well not really scrapped, just put away in favor of her face and bust. Somehow with her arms just at her sides she felt very stiff, like something were missing, and so I slapped the Triforce before her, thinking to add in an arm and her holding it in her hand. Nope, no good, the arm was positioned wrong and I couldn't find or craft a hand that looked good so I though instead, the Triforce floats, it has in the games, so it'd hover in front of her instead.

Never one to leave anything alone a glow was added around the Triforce, but soon realized that it should light up part of Zelda's body and hair as well being so close to her. Now I'm going to have to remove some stitches, replace with lighter colors. One thing I had a dilemma with was the highlights in her dress, working with the choices I use per the NES color palette the colors I wanted to use while on screen showed up fine but with the floss they blended so much I couldn't barely tell them apart so had to settle with brighter. So what color does that actually make her dress? Red-Orange? Maybe I should have given her a green dress, more green used on the NES than red. Still happy with how she turned out despite the challenges.

I started working on this custom Zelda sprite on June 25th, started stitching July 11th, and all while stitching I was also editing her sprite so there were several times that I had to tear out some floss to accomodate the changes in the pattern, finishing both the pattern and the stitching nearly together on July 13th.

original sprite template:

All edits (starting from the top, left to right) beginning first with the trainer from Tecmo World Wrestling (with parts of several other characters gradually added in the editing process) to the final version of Zelda:
note: sorry, image quality is bad (don't know why its not keeping the original image size I uploaded), but keeping it here anyway for reference.

Princess Zelda - Tecmo World Wrestling sprite edit

MATERIAL:
Plastic Canvas (14ct)

SIZE:
59x55 pixels

COLORS (DMC):
White
772 - Very Light Yellow Green
745 - Light Pale Yellow
676 - Light Old Gold
783 - Medium Topaz
930 - Dark Antique Blue
3810 - Dark Turquoise
964 - Light Sea Green
814 - Dark Garnet
919 - Red Copper
760 - Salmon
963 - Ultra Very Light Dusty Rose
907 - Light Parrot Green
702 - Kelly Green
3857 - Dark Rosewood
301 - Medium Mahogany
402 - Very Light Mahogany
951 - Tawny
Black

total colors: 19

DATE/TIME:
Started stitching: July 11th 2016
Finished stitching: July 13th 2016
915 minutes = 15 hours 15 minutes

STITCHES:

PROGRESS LOG:
Spoiler
2016-7-11
2:10pm-3:10pm - got black outline done
3:25pm-3:40pm
4:00pm-4:40pm
4:50pm-5:30pm - got Triforce done
6:00pm-6:50pm
8:50pm-9:15pm
9:35pm-10:45pm - got her face done

=300 minutes

2016-7-12
12:10am-2:30am
12:25pm-2:05pm
3:40pm-5:20pm
7:00pm-8:00pm - got her hair done
8:20pm-10:00pm
10:50pm-12:25am

=475 minutes

2016-7-13
9:30am-10:40am
12:20pm-1:30pm - got her necklace, dress and arms done (finished!)

=140 minutes

total = 915 minutes (15 hours 15 minutes)

Stitchmond
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Stitchmond »

Miss Clawful wrote:After finishing my custom stitch of Princess Toadstool I thought to do one for Zelda as well.
Seeing your design process is great. That Zelda looks amazing!
stitchmond.etsy.com

Aegidia
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Aegidia »

Really awesome entries so far! Working hard on my entry, I hope I'll finish it in time...

Ashlene
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Ashlene »

Aegidia wrote:Really awesome entries so far! Working hard on my entry, I hope I'll finish it in time...
Same here. Been working everyday on mine. It has been a much bigger project than I thought it would be. We can do it! :nod
Current Projects:
  • Epic Pokemong Gen 1 - pg. 2/30
    Banjo Kazooie scene for charity quilt
    Finn Faces
    Giant Octopus Amigurumi

JemmaJ
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by JemmaJ »

Hey everyone! I know that I haven't been around for a while; I have quickly whipped this up for you all:

It is Princess Peach; I have used a bead pattern from Braceletbook.com to create this beauty!
Just keep stitching...

Jemma's Stitchery | Stitch Blog: Dreaming In Aida | Instagram & Twitter: @JemmaJH

WIPs:
A Very Merry Christmas Town
Stitching for Charity 2016/17
KLT Charting: Russian Dolls SAL
and many more...

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Loving all of these entries!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

kryssiecat
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by kryssiecat »

Oh man, it's gonna be hard to decide who to vote for!
Mother of Link Liam L.

rainbowfshh
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by rainbowfshh »

Here's my first ever challenge entry, I chose slowking for my royalty. And he only evolves using a king's rock, get it? :)
royalty.jpg
royalty.jpg (254.42 KiB) Viewed 18260 times
No cuts, no buts, no coconuts.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

That is fun!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Ashlene
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Ashlene »

I am so excited to submit my first challenge entry! He took me forever to complete because of all the color changes, and I'm shocked I finished it on time. I am most proud of this because I created the pattern all by myself from a sprite. Still learning and figured this would be a great way to challenge myself.

Here is the Emperor of the Outworld, Shao Kahn. The sprite is from Mortal Kombat II (I kept the classic graphics) and I added the font for a fun flair. :D
Spoiler
IMG_0610.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG (258.84 KiB) Viewed 18247 times
Current Projects:
  • Epic Pokemong Gen 1 - pg. 2/30
    Banjo Kazooie scene for charity quilt
    Finn Faces
    Giant Octopus Amigurumi