Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

JAN/FEB Challenge - Manuary and Februlady!

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges
blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

JAN/FEB Challenge - Manuary and Februlady!

Post by blackmageheart »

Welcome everyone to the first challenge of 2014! I hope everyone is having a good start to the year.

We've renamed January and February to Manuary and Februlady! (Props to my esteemed colleague RMDC for his ingenious naming.) Why? Because we can, of course.
For Manuary, I'd like you to stick a moustache on something that wouldn't normally have one. This includes but is not limited to; female characters, aliens, plants, buildings, dinosaurs and male characters that don't usually wear one.
Then, for Februlady, we're flipping everything on its head. Instead of adorning things and people with more...female stuff we are going to remove the female characteristics from the females. A fab example of this idea was provided to me by RMDC (he's really earning the :BM Kudos!) and it is a comic in which Peach and Luigi switch outfits. He said, and I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him, that:
RMDC wrote:Peach in plumber's coveralls was a striking figure, suddenly freed of the constraints of her fluffy dress and turned into a woman of action. Notice in the linked comic her wide stance, outstretched hand, and cocksure bravada.
It will be quite challenging but I know you will all come up with some great ideas! You can submit as many entries as you like, for either or both themes. Combinations will be most welcome. :nod And it's not necessary to make the moustaches this month and the un-ladies next month - you have two months to make whatever you decide!

Any craft is welcome and please feel free to share ideas and post any questions you may have. My PM box is always available if anyone needs my help with anything.

This is also the first challenge that we will be using the new badges, and we will be awarding a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. The challenge ends February 28th, best of luck and I look forward to your entries!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: JAN/FEB Challenge - Manuary and Februlady!

Post by kuja.girl »

First off: awesome challenge(s). mustache are ridiculous and entertaining and anything which gives us a chance to challenge stereotypes of "girlishness/femine" is good imoho.
I've been reading a lot of negative things about how women are not treated as equals or welcomed on the internet and also on the dominance of male gaming culture, they are depressing reads to say the least, so it's always great so see something empowering and creative like this.
RMDC wrote:Peach in plumber's coveralls was a striking figure, suddenly freed of the constraints of her fluffy dress and turned into a woman of action. Notice in the linked comic her wide stance, outstretched hand, and cocksure bravada.
Meanwhile Luigi in a pink fluffy dress is portrayed as ... idiotic. Thanks comics of the 1980's and 1990's!
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

Yay! A challenge I actually have ideas for (or rather an image that makes me giggle that I can make a pattern for!). Once I'm done with my... other project... I'll make a start on this.
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Thank you for making this a two-month combined challenge! I might be able to enter this time. :grin:
kuja.girl wrote:Meanwhile Luigi in a pink fluffy dress is portrayed as ... idiotic. Thanks comics of the 1980's and 1990's!
To be fair, his mental and physical (in)capacity aren't significantly altered in those scenes compared to when he was in the ol' blue and green. :P Nozawa and Takekuma really didn't think much of Player 2. Not that there aren't plenty of other problematic gendered moments in the series! Wendy made my moustache floomf in rage.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by rockinwithrammstein »

:( I no longer have access to a computer so I'll have to sit this one out, BUT I'm excited to see what everyone else comes up with!
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Mega Peacock (page 3 of 40)
Sophie's Universe

Visit my blog http://vmfwbojtte.blogspot.com :)

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

RMDC wrote: To be fair, his mental and physical (in)capacity aren't significantly altered in those scenes compared to when he was in the ol' blue and green. :P Nozawa and Takekuma really didn't think much of Player 2. Not that there aren't plenty of other problematic gendered moments in the series! Wendy made my moustache floomf in rage.
That is completely true. There are few actual"smart" characters in the Mario series as a whole... :)
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

natepopinski
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by natepopinski »

I decided instead of a Geodude, I wanted to see a GeoMan.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

DSC00924.JPG
DSC00924.JPG (135.13 KiB) Viewed 6686 times
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by TigerLily »

Those are both adorable and so funny. :nod

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by rockinwithrammstein »

Okay, I got a computer from my husband on payday! With that being said, I guess I'm joining in entering anyway! :) Here's my Manuary entry. Also...I never realized how much I wanted K.K. Slider to have a mustache until now..................Also, also, don't mind the French knots. I am not good at them and need to practice, so I figured why not add a couple for his name. :peach

K.K. MustacheRESIZE.jpg
K.K. MustacheRESIZE.jpg (79.82 KiB) Viewed 6658 times
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Mega Peacock (page 3 of 40)
Sophie's Universe

Visit my blog http://vmfwbojtte.blogspot.com :)