Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

How Do You Like To Work With Dark Images?

Lalina
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

How Do You Like To Work With Dark Images?

Post by Lalina »

When I am making a pattern for image with a lot of dark colours, importing it into a program such as PC Stitch or KG-chart will result in most of the darker colours being converted to black. I've found this quite annoying because I like having subtle details in my patterns. When I was working on the pattern for my charity square (image below) I became quite frustrated because both programs made the dark purple in the image disappear and replaced it with black and a bit of dark brown. I tried to stitch it this way and ended up pulling out all of the stitches.

In the end, I imported the image into KG-Chart and I opened the original file in a photo program and put their desktop windows side by side. I slowly edited the dark parts of the image to be the thread colours that I wanted it to be (I used 939 as a substitute for dark purple). I felt Way more satisfied with the result.

How do the rest of you handle dark colours? Are you fine with just using black? Do you use other programs? Do you temporarily change colours in the original image?

I'm just curious to see if there is another way that I could be doing this.
ridley rawr single.png
ridley rawr single.png (2.88 KiB) Viewed 54483 times
Current Projects:
- Game of Thrones/Mario World Mash-up (cross-stitch)

out2lunch
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Re: How Do You Like To Work With Dark Images?

Post by out2lunch »

I've found this to be a problem too, but I've also found that if you crank the number of colors KG-chart selects from really high, up to like, 50 or 100 colors, it will "see" the dark shades. And don't worry, you won't actually end up with 50 shades, it's just sort of a trick.
Current Project: Super Metroid villain #3: Crocomire

jocy666
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Re: How Do You Like To Work With Dark Images?

Post by jocy666 »

out2lunch wrote:I've found this to be a problem too, but I've also found that if you crank the number of colors KG-chart selects from really high, up to like, 50 or 100 colors, it will "see" the dark shades. And don't worry, you won't actually end up with 50 shades, it's just sort of a trick.
Exactly, I always set color at maximum allowed (999), you not end up using 999 colors, but the colors are more accurate, then I'm going checking the threads to get a good result.