Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Pokemon Quilt Idea

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Pokemon Quilt Idea

Post by faroresdragn »

Hey everybody.

I used to cross stitch alot when I was younger and am going to get back into it after this Christmas. I had an idea for a pretty big project I want to work myself up to but didnt know how feasible it was.

The idea was so stitch the first 150 pokemon onto 150 squares of fabric, and then use those to make a big quilt. I have only ever stitched on aida in the past, but I know alot of people stitch on linen. I dont have alot of experience with linen as a fabric, and im not sure if a quilt made out of pieces of linen would be a great idea, since they are usually made out of cotton fabric as far as I know.

Obviously something like this is going to take a ton of time, so I dont want to invest in it if the final product isnt going to be durable, or if the quilt itself wont be comfortable on the skin, and therefore not really useful. Is linen a good idea? is there another type of fabric that is easy to do cross stitch on that would make a better blanket? I dont remember ever seeing a quilt that was covered in cross stitch before, so Im not sure if this is even an idea that works.

Can anyone with quilting experience let me know?

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Pokemon Quilt Idea

Post by blackmageheart »

Well, firstly Sprite Stitch members collectively have made several cross stitch quilts with the help of tnitnetny (Quiltoni) so someone like her would be best to advise you on the actual quilting part, but cross stitch has been made into blankets and quilts for many, many years so there shouldn't be a problem with your idea!
You can stitch on linen but because it's a more uneven fabric it can be a bit awkward to stitch on if you're new to it. Aida and evenweaves would work fine for a quilt, anyway!
As for being comfortable on the skin, quilts generally have a layer of batting under the top fabric layer, and then another fabric layer under the batting (like a kind of flat-ish stuffing) so the back of the stitching wouldn't be touching anything!

Examples of our previous quilts:

http://www.spritestitch.com/sprite-stit ... ilts-2014/

http://www.spritestitch.com/finished-20 ... ay-quilts/

http://www.spritestitch.com/2012-childs-play-quilts/

http://www.spritestitch.com/childs-play-auction-quilt/
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by faroresdragn »

Oh those look really cool.

I know generally how a quilt is put together, but i was thinking of putting stitching on both sides (which I didnt make clear), and wasnt sure if aida was very comfy blanket material. but I could always ditch the idea of adding stitching on the other side.

Im glad the idea has potential, though I would be looking to do something a little different than these, which all have a good amount of space between the squares. my squares would really need to be right next to eachother to get 150 of them in without the quilt being like house-sized. I will have to look into it more.

faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by faroresdragn »

I was envisioning more of a typical patchwork quilt like the one here, where there would be one pokemon on each square. so Id have a blank or unstitched area between each monster, but no actual border cloth. I know stitching on aida would be easier in the stitching itself, but not sure how well it would work to sew the aida squares directly together like you would on this quilt, with how aida is subject to fraying and such. was wondering if stitching on the cotton cloth that is typically used for quilting is a valid option, or if using aida really wouldnt cause any issues.

the quilt examples you gave look beautiful (and hopefully if you guys do something like that again I can participate) but thats just not a feasible design for me who wants to use 150 distinct squares

EDIT: dont know why Im only thinking of this now but i should be able to just use waste canvas on pieces of regular cotton quilting cloth and that should work. I guess i forgot waste cloth existed for a minute. :grin:
EASY-PATCHWORK-1.jpg

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Ahhh right, wasn't sure what you were getting at but I see now!

You could of course sew aida squares together, but waste canvas or soluble canvas is definitely an option for you! :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

that is a really cute idea, and the waste canvas would let you pick a bunch of different background patterns for different pokemon types!
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by faroresdragn »

Oh haha it never even occurred to me to match the backgrounds with the types. That's a great idea

faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by faroresdragn »

I have never made a quilt before, and have been looking into how i would put something like this together

It had never occured to me before that when you sew the top and bottom layers of a quilt together, you basically just sew through it all over. like a stitch running the length of the quilt every inch or so.

with what I was planning to do, that would mean running a machine directly over all of my stitched pokemon, and the thought of that terrifies me. is that something i have to be worried about? if i spend months and months sewing all these pokemon on squares, and sew the squares together, only for arcanines head to be torn out as the machine passes through it, i will probably have to find the closest bridge to jump off.

any advice for this?

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

faroresdragn wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:44 am
any advice for this?
Sorry for the long delay in replying, I've not been well!

Here's my advice - don't stitch through the pokemon, just around the edges of the aida to secure it. I'm pretty sure that's what Toni does as the blocks we made for her were solid squares (no empty spaces) and I don't remember her doing the usual stitching through the images, if that makes sense?

faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by faroresdragn »

Yeah that makes sense. will have to look into it and leave some extra room around the edges. Not stitching on aida just on cotton using waste canvas. hopefully ill get around to this project sooner rather than later.