Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

skater43 stitches non-Zelda things

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: skater43 stitches non-Zelda things

Post by skater43 »

Thank you, yeah, it did come out nice. The little bit of turquoise matte stands out/draws attention, without being too distracting.

Venn diagram didn't work quite as I thought, just combining the patterns. Trying to minimize altering one pattern or the other too much for simplicity's sake, but if I were to expand the circles, the Venn diagram type idea would work. Couple of other ideas I've come up with are attached. The square one is my least favorite: too cluttered and you lose what goes with which game/the individual patterns lose their identity if you will. The angle one I just came up with this morning and actually isn't too bad. The patterns aren't linked in that they're interconnected, but do blend together some, while staying distinct.
Attachments
oracles pattern square group.jpg
oracles pattern oval.jpg
oracles pattern linked.jpg
oracles pattern angle.jpg

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Just picked up Ghostbusters, all framed and finished. With the AGDQ prize submission deadline coming up on Saturday, I was starting to get a little nervous if I'd have it in time, especially with Christmas the end of this week, but we got it in time. Soon as I'm done here, plan to hop onto the GDQ website and get it submitted.
Attachments
agdq 2021 framed IMG_5501.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Love that framing job...perfectly matches your stitching job!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. Credit for the framing goes to The Artery https://www.the1artery.com/ Options were limited here for colors since the picture had so few, but they do do great work with the framing itself and helping me pick colors.

AGDQ 2021 is underway. My picture is available as a prize tonight roughly 11:30 p.m. Pacific to 9:30 a.m. Check local listings https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule Donations to the cause are of course most welcome, but just spreading the word is a help, too. As I've said, I don't have the skill/inclination to be a speedrunner, but I can stitch and donate a prize. There are actually a half dozen+ cross stitch projects available as prizes this year, and several other impressive pieces of arts and crafts. https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/prizes/34

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

So the cropped picture is my pattern, based off of the screenshot. Shot was taken from the NES game Mega Man 2 (actually, the Japanese version of that game, but there aren't many changes between the two versions and the shot could have come from the US version). Yes, Mega Man really is walking through the floor and yes, that really can be done in the game. You can see it in https://www.twitch.tv/videos/259202535 at about the 7:45 mark. That isn't where the screenshot came from, and no, I didn't play the game myself to get the shot, but that shows the context of the shot. The Mega Man games, especially the NES ones are notorious for zips and clipping into walls, in order to quickly get from one side of the screen to the other. Mega Man 2 was the only game in the series I owned growing up, so the one I played the most, hence why I chose it for this project. This one's wide (but about 2/3 as wide as my personal project), but not that tall (stitched area is about 5x8) so I don't think it'll take more than a few weeks to do, but that's why I wanted to start now, to ensure I had enough time to stitch it, plus give The Artery time to frame it. So we'll see how it goes. Was able to get a bright blue (officially, 18 count Royal Xmas Blue) cloth for the background, so we won't have to stitch that. Amazing the cloth colors available out there. Started with some of the black outline in the lower left corner today and the black on blue isn't the easiest to stitch, but if I wanted things to be easy to see while I worked, I'd only stitch on white. :)
Attachments
sgdq 2021 mm2.png
sgdq 2021 mm2.png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
Rockman 2 - Dr. Wily no Nazo (J)-4.png
Rockman 2 - Dr. Wily no Nazo (J)-4.png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 4664 times

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Glad that you were able to get a good blue fabric!!! Good luck with the black stitching!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. Thinking the blue fabric might be a shade darker than I really want, but certainly close enough and I'm not starting over at this point. Got most of the black done for this section, so we're making that work. Been doing the tannish green for the pipes and am making good progress on those. But I'm thinking this is going to take longer than I initially thought to finish. Not much longer, but I'm looking at mid-May likely. Or, I'm kinda setting that as a deadline to ensure I've got time to get it framed and back so I can ship it off. Don't want to rush things or get burned out, but I'm thinking about putting in an extra half hour or so of work on my days off. Usually stitch about an hour a day, extra half hour hour here and there shouldn't be too much as far as overwhelming me, but enough time to get a fair amount of bonus work done. So we'll see how that goes and if I need to up production or anything as we move along.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Two weeks in now and making good progress. Still shooting for mid-May, though that will require a little extra work here and there. While the overall picture isn't that big (see the pen in the picture for scale), there isn't a lot of empty space, so most of the picture has to be stitched. But I'm liking how things are turning out so far. Lack of context makes it a little hard to tell what we're looking at so far, but the next couple of weeks, we'll be getting more pipes done and maybe start Mega Man himself. The fabric plus shadows and such is still making stitching the black the hardest part, but we're making it work and fortunately, there isn't a ton of black. And the tan/yellow for the pipes is not a problem. So, keep plugging away and see how things go, and we'll see if we have to up production a bit more as we get into May.
Attachments
sgdq 2021 wip 4-18-21 IMG_20210418_151206215.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

The tan/yellow of the pipes pop SO much...it's looking great!!!

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) I was a little concerned at first whether the blue cloth was too dark, but I think it'll work just fine. Can clearly see the black lines of the pipes along with the other colors, so it'll work. Besides the time crunch, the only other concern at this point is the few stitches of light pink/peach on Mega Man's face, whether the color I've chosen will be enough of a contrast with the surrounding white. But I've got other colors I can pick when I get there. So we'll see/worry about that in a couple of weeks.