Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

skater43 stitches non-Zelda things

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

skater43 stitches non-Zelda things

Post by skater43 »

Figure this will be my catch-all topic for things I stitch that aren't part of my goal to stitch something from every Zelda game I've beaten. You can read more about those at http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/viewt ... =3&t=16526 Meanwhile, I've been commissioned by the people that normally do the framing for my projects, so we'll start this topic off with that project. Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Donkey Kong were listed as among the recipient's favorite games/characters, so I was able to modify a screenshot of the original Donkey Kong game to have DK and Mario (all right, yes, technically, he's Jumpman in this game, but we all know it's the Mario we love) together. Two of the four favorites and straight out of an actual game. Attached is the pattern/screenshot I'm going off of, as well as what I've done the first week+. Little bit of a mistake near the beginning, I missed a line on the barrels, but I was able to fix it without having to undo too much. Meanwhile, we've got a couple of weeks worth of girders to do along the bottom, then we'll get into the characters and such. Complete wild guess at this point, I'm saying end of May/start of June as a finish date, but we're a long ways out and we'll see once I start in on Mario and DK and such. Sometime in April or so I'll be breaking from this to put together a project for SDGQ 2020, which I'll post about here, too.
Attachments
donkey kong commission.png
donkey kong commission.png (1.87 KiB) Viewed 16587 times
dk wip 3-2-20 IMG_20200302_100732773.jpg

Soychai
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Re: skater43 stitches non-Zelda things

Post by Soychai »

I’m so excited for this one!

Soychai
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Soychai »

Do you do anything special working on black? Gridding or anything?

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thanks, I'm excited, too. :) Took me a while to do ones for me, always giving away the others. And while I've enjoyed/am enjoying my Zelda projects and getting them up on the wall, I'm looking forward to giving this one away and I really think they're going to like it.

No, nothing really any different than working on white. Only thing is lighting is more of an issue. I tend to hold the projects up and use light from behind to see where the holes are. The way the sun moves relative to my windows means I can stitch pretty much all day up until late afternoon, and I usually stitch about an hour each in the afternoon before getting ready for work. However, I house-sit for a family friend on occasion and I found the lighting over there to be an issue. Which is funny because she does a lot of quilting and such. But the overhead lights weren't working for me. I did discover that morning hours worked for stitching, but by noon or so, the sun had moved too far. I have a pattern for the stage select screen from Mega Man 2 that's on my to-do list, and that uses kind of a royal blue background, so I'm curious how that compares to white and black. One other big difference between my white and black cloths, is the fact that my black cloth is 18 ct (because I got it for my SMB project originally, with the idea of dong AoL and some other NES complete screenshots. Now that I've seen how much time they take, I'm a little less enthused, but we'll see) and the white I have is 14 ct I believe. So that makes working on the white that much easier to see where the holes are.

Soychai
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Soychai »

Where do you get your fabric from?
I found a little adjustable clip light from amazon and I use that to shine on my piece. I bet something similar would work well to shine from behind and light up the holes. I was in JoAnn fabrics the other day and i saw a washable white marker for darker cloth but was kinda feeling cheap. I’ll probably have to invest at one point. Also was feeling skeptical about it washing out completely

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

123stitch.com There's a Michael's 10-15 miles from me that I'll use for most of my thread shopping, but for large quantities of black Aida, I needed to go online.

Thanks for the tip about the light. Sunlight works, but having options for when it's cloudy or wanting to work at different hours or something would be good.

Haven't done anything with gridding or marking my cloths, so can't say how well markers work/wash out. I mean, some of my projects like FSA, Link fit within a hoop, so I was essentially working within a grid/set space, but I didn't mark anything on the fabric. Sure the good folks here could steer you to a brand of marker that works well, or ones they've had success with, or I'd go online and check reviews.

As for this project, we've passed the halfway point of the girder across the bottom. Today's a full day, so prolly won't be able to work on it for more than a half hour or so, but if I really cared/pushed it, I could finish the girder by the end of the week. After that, while I'm at that end of the project, I'll prolly do Mario than work up the ladder to the other girder and ladders. Which means it might actually be closer to just the end of April when I finish this, but we'll see.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Got ourselves another WIP picture. As you can see, things are moving right along. Girder across the bottom actually went faster than expected, Mario is done and we've started on the first ladder (and are actually just about done with it). Prolly just work our way to the left now, knock out the next tier of girders, head over to the other ladders, do Penelope and we'll finish up with Donkey himself. First estimates had me finishing maybe the end of May, but I'd say end of April is a much more likely outcome.
Attachments
dk wip 3-16-20 IMG_20200316_134044144.jpg

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Glad to see the boards are back up. Have managed to complete a few projects since we last posted. First, we finished up our DK project. Well received and I like how it turned out. Had a slight issue with the lighter color for DK's hair being too light and didn't contrast enough with the white of his eye, so I had to change that. But I was able to go through my thread collection and find a suitable substitute.

Completed another Zelda project, but we'll show that in my Zelda thread.

And just this morning, I finished what I plan to submit as a prize for SGDQ 2020. Just dropped it off to be framed this afternoon, so we'll see how the finished project looks, but I like how the stitching part came out. And I get to take credit for the pattern on this one. Sat down with an emulator for about half an hour playing and replaying the bit by the first pit in 1-1 to try to get the right shot. Had it slowed to about 1% speed and ended up basically taking a series of screenshots each frame to get exactly what I wanted (which was Mario grabbing the 1-up while dying. Let's face it, we've all died going for a 1-up or expending most of our health to get a refill, and this picture is celebrating that). Time was of the essence for this one, since I need to get it submitted in time (talked with the framers and they're giving it the priority to have it done in time), so I ended up working on it more than just my usual hour a day, but that's okay. I enjoy doing it and got to watch a lot of movies as I worked.

Up next is a picture for myself for Link's Awakening.

edit: and the SMB pic is upside down. Great. Right way on my computer. But I'm sure you guys can just rotate your monitors so it's the right way no problem, right. :)
Attachments
sgdq 2020 done 7-16-20 IMG_20200716_115419004.jpg
dk done 4-8-20 IMG_20200408_100411236.jpg

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Your stitches never fail to impress me! :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. Obviously my photography skills and getting my mom's phone to cooperate/take the picture in the right direction still need some work, but one hobby/skill at a time. :)