Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

skater43 stitches Zelda games

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Re: skater43 stitches Zelda games

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) It did come out good. Working on it up close, you see the little imperfections and such, but you step back and look at the whole thing, it comes together and looks good. As I said, prolly not going to be doing another project like it, but I'm glad I did it. Learned some new stitches, little different way of doing things, got some ideas for what did and didn't work for another potential music pattern down the road, so I'm pleased with how it all turned out.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

And with one project done, we turn our attention to the next: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. Separate games but linked together with passwords to carry stuff over to the other, then back again. To get all the secrets and treasures and such, you actually had to beat both games twice. As such, my plan is to combine the attached two patterns. Open to suggestions, but my tentative plan is do them like a Venn diagram or other interlocking rings. So keep the individual patterns the same, but have them cross over one another/link together. I think this would be a pretty simple way to combine things. Need to pull the patterns up and mess around with copying and pasting and moving things around in Paint, but from first impression standpoint, I should be able to stitch one just as it is, and then figure out how the second one will line up. But I want to see how much to have them overlap and not have the objects be too crowded and such/see that they'll fit together. Will likely need to rotate the second pattern a few ticks clockwise, too, but that'll be the project for the next couple of days. Have all the threads ready to go, so just a matter of figuring out how to make the patterns work together.
Attachments
EssencesofTime.pdf
(292.06 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
EssencesofNature.pdf
(296.31 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Mentioned this in my other thread, but we'll throw this here, too, since this is the appropriate thread. Suggestions/comments welcome.

Venn diagram didn't work quite as I thought, just combining the patterns. Trying to minimize altering one pattern or the other too much for simplicity's sake, but if I were to expand the circles, the Venn diagram type idea would work. Couple of other ideas I've come up with are attached. The square one is my least favorite: too cluttered and you lose what goes with which game/the individual patterns lose their identity if you will. The angle one I just came up with this morning and actually isn't too bad. The patterns aren't linked in that they're interconnected, but do blend together some, while staying distinct.
Attachments
oracles pattern square group.jpg
oracles pattern oval.jpg
oracles pattern linked.jpg
oracles pattern angle.jpg

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

We are officially underway. Started Sunday, so we're not quite a week in, but we're making good progress as you can see. Ended up going with the angled pattern. I liked how it looks and it got one other vote. I like that it combines the two patterns in that they are connected, but still distinct and separate. You can still tell which ring is which. So, that's what we're going with. This is going to be a short one. Based on the work so far, I'm outlining about an Essence and a half a day, so those'll take about 11 days to stitch. And so far, I've been able to fill in one a day, so there's another 16 days. Started the 6th, so we're looking at finishing January 2nd. So becomes a question of maybe doing a little extra work a day to make this the last project of 2020, or going at the current pace to make it the first of 2021. We'll see how it goes.
Attachments
oracles wip 12-11-20 IMG_20201210_110823521.jpg
oracles pattern angle.jpg

faroresdragn
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by faroresdragn »

this looks great. I love these games so much. keep us updated

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Love this and congrats on the great start! Can't wait to see it develop!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thanks, guys. :) Should have a new pic up the next couple of days. Work schedule has changed some the past couple of weeks cutting into stitching time, but we're making good progress still. I've outlined/colored in 7 of the Essences so far and will finish coloring in the eighth today. Right now, I'm working on the corner where the two patterns meet, so we've gotten both started. Besides coloring in the eighth Essence today, we should be able to move the hoop in such a way as to stitch the last Essence of Time as well as the next Essence of Nature, finishing off one pattern and finishing linking the two together. Had to shift a couple of the Essences a square here in the corner where the patterns meet to fit things together, so I'll have to remember what I did to accommodate the rest of the pattern/adjust, but that's not a big deal and most will just be following the patterns exactly.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

And by "the next couple of days", I meant today. :) Had a chance to get a picture, so here we go. Haven't worked on it yet today, so as I said, today we'll be finishing filing in the green of the one Essence, then trying to move the hoop so that we can finish one pattern and do the second Essence of the second to link things together. Right about halfway done, two weeks in, so we're still looking at finishing the first week of January, so this will be the first project of 2021. After that, I've got patterns for Minish Cap, Wind Waker (though seems like that's a huge one, so I look for another pattern or see about scaling it down) and Twilight Princess. I still need to find one for Phantom Hourglass and I'm near the end of Spirit Tracks, so we'll need one for that as well. But the three I have will easily keep me busy for most of 2021, so I've got time to find what I want/need.

Also got my Ghostbusters picture back from the framers, as seen in my other thread at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16537&start=30 so a good day for pictures. :)
Attachments
oracles wip 12-21-20 IMG_20201221_123149061.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

You've been busy...it's looking great!!!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. Little delay the past week or so because of work, but eyeballing Tuesday for finishing (need to finish coloring in one Essence, done most of it already, and then outline and fill in two others and that's it). Was debating whether to do Twilight Princess or Minish Cap next, but I've got a more personal project in mind. Still Zelda related, though. Basing it off a screenshot from LoZ, so I need to play through a bit to get the shot I want. Then it's a matter of seeing what I can cut out/trim down to show the important stuff, without it being another full sized 256x224 picture. So the latter half of this week, after the Oracles, I'll be working on putting that design together.

Also should be finishing playing through Spirit Tracks the next week or so, so that'll be another game I'll need to stitch/add to the list. Looked around a little for a pattern and haven't seen anything I like yet, but I've got several months of other games to stitch in the meantime, so there's no rush.