Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

AoL WIP

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: AoL WIP

Post by Firehawke »

You've been busy! It looks great!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. One day at a time, one stitch at a time, slow, steady progress. Work on it every day, about an hour a day. Currently working on the lines in between the first and second window, so we're making good progress, but it'll still be mid-October before we finish them. Then we get to start doing windows and characters and text and interesting stuff. :)

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Okay, think we actually have the photo going the right way this time. :) But, we've completed the lines across the bottom, so the last of the really tedious stuff is done. The text box outline doesn't have much to it either, but there's not a lot to it and I do have to keep track of where I am to make it fit and all. And as we can see, we've started in on the windows. I have my threads set aside for this and other potential upcoming projects, went to start in on the blue sky and realized what I'd picked was not a good color. Or what I had was meant for the darker bluer the text shadows and I'd forgotten about the sky. Fortunately, I've built up enough of a collection of colors that I was able to come up with a light blue that'll work just fine, without having to go to the store to pick up a skein. But we finally get to see some real colors here besides just the bricks and black background. Ballparking things, I figure it'll take a couple of weeks to finish the windows (all three colors for each), so first week or so in November. After that, not sure what I'll work on next, but as this point, really doubt I'll be done by the end of the year. However, near as I can tell from my records, I started working on this the end of January this year, so finishing the end of January, 2020 is possibility, taking a full year to finish it (with a couple of breaks to knock out some small projects), but we'll see. We're getting closer and we can see things coming together, see where Link and Error are going to be and so on. Do have AGDQ 2020 coming up and I've got a project planned for that, though I need to see about maybe shifting things around or tweaking it for size considerations. So that'll be a couple of weeks break from this project, but this is still my main focus.
Attachments
aol wip 10-20-19 IMG_20191020_121700913.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

I love how well this project pops off the aida! You've made a TON of progress on it this year!!!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) I've finished the windows (nice to get some other colors on it/something other than dull bricks) and started the text up top. Finished "Magic" and the magic meter, as well as the life meter. At least all the white parts of those. I need to go back and do the blue outline/shadowing. However, we're putting this on hold for a couple of weeks while I bust out my AGDQ 2020 prize. Started working on it Thursday and figure it'll take about two weeks to do. It'll come in just under 8.5x11, but most of it is blank space, so the actual stitching isn't that involved. What is it? You'll just have to wait until I finish and be surprised. :) But I figure I might as well get it done now, get it submitted so that it's taken care of, can deal with delays shipping, etc.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Can't wait to see it!!!! Have fun!!!

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Two for one sale today. As promised, we have my submission to AGDQ 2020 (https://gamesdonequick.com/ ): the good ending screen from Ghosts N Goblins. Just submitted it today, so awaiting confirmation of its acceptance, but no reason it wouldn't be accepted. Ghouls N Ghosts (the SMS version of the game) is on the schedule and the Engrish fits in with Awful Block, so we'll see where they put it as an eligible prize. As I say, not a speedrunner, don't have the skill or inclination, but submit a prize, spread the word about the event, I can do those. While larger than my previous submissions, this was mostly black space, so the stitching itself only took two weeks.

We also have an update picture on my AoL project. As you can see, we have color now. :) Not just drab bricks, but some white and blue and objects and text. Working on the blue shadowing up top and should have no trouble finishing that Friday or Saturday. While the text box is mostly empty space, it is rather large, so expect doing it and the text within will take me to the end of the year or so. After that, we have Link and Error and the table and that's about it. So finishing in January is pretty much a given. Which means it'll have been a year from start to finish, which is pretty good considering the size of the project, and the fact that I took, what, three two week breaks to do other quick projects. But I've enjoyed working on this and it'll be a nice addition to my Zelda collection. Not sure my next project, but I do know it'll be much smaller. :)
Attachments
gng IMG_20191204_104456962_HDR.jpg
aol wip 12-4-19 IMG_20191204_105046649_HDR.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

You did a fantastic job on that ending screen!!!

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) The nice thing about doing NES pictures is the nice 1:1 pixel to stitch ratio. So I don't have to convert anything or come up with my own patterns, I can easily use screenshots. Tweaked it slightly here for space: couple of fewer squares between some of the words and less space between the words and the hearts, but otherwise that's otherwise how it looks in the game. Showed this to some of my friends and commented that Ghosts N Goblins is a doozy of a game, up there as one of the hardest NES games, example of the trope "Nintendo hard" and all that, and your reward, after having had to play through it twice to get this real ending, is this poorly translated screen. But, that's some of the charm of the old NES games and most didn't have fancy endings. We played them for the fun and challenge of the game, not for some great reward afterward.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Nice!!!!!!