Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Mario - Bowser WIP

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
matthewbeetle
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Mario - Bowser WIP

Post by matthewbeetle »

Hi Everybody!

Looking on this forum after visiting a whole ago there are some absolutely amazing designs and its really great to see everybody helping each other and all the creative efforts being made! :o)

For my second ever project I've been steadily working on one of the designs for the super Mario Bowser screen (32K stitches - eek!) and I just wondered if I could ask some advice? When I stitch although I am doing it tightly (I think I am anyway) but when I'm done some white bits of the fabric are still showing - for an example see the attached pic of my WIP and you can see the white fabric peaking out from behind the black sky. Am I doing something wrong?

I am using two threads on count 18 aida which I thought was ok to start with (And looks really smart on the Super Mario World Map posted a few weeks ago!) but it's also coming through on the dark blue now so I thought I would ask the experts!

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Many thanks in advance
Matt
Attachments
IMG_6404.JPG

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Mario - Bowser WIP

Post by blackmageheart »

That is looking fantastic so far! You're really doing a good job with it :)

Regarding the white peeking through - I wouldn't worry about it! When you're finished and it's been washed, you'll most likely find that the white isn't showing through anymore. As long as you're not pulling the stitches too tight, it'll be fine :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

It's looking great!!! I second what BMH said regarding the white!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Moirae
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by Moirae »

It's looking great. I don't mind a little white showing through most of the time and often stitch 2 strands on 14ct. 2 strands on 18ct is usually really good coverage. I would suggest standing 5ft or so back from it and then looking at it. We spend so much time with our faces so close to our stitching that we forget it's not the distance you would normally view it from.
Best quality photos here, but,for more frequent updates, check out my instagram
https://www.instagram.com/moiraestitches/

FireKraken
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by FireKraken »

Beautiful job and great progress! Keep it up!

matthewbeetle
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by matthewbeetle »

Oh wow! Thanks everyone for the kind words! Really appreciate it! :o)

That's a good point Moire - maybe I am a looking/working on it too close! Sometimes you can't see the woods for the trees! I was just a little concerned as it's quite a lot of work to find out I'd been doing it wrong!!!! Thanks for the tip blackmageheart - when it's finished I'll wash it and get it professionally framed - I believe they stretch it before mounting so maybe that will help as well.

Thanks again to everyone for all the encouragement - this is the second and largest piece I've done - the light is poor now so I reckon another three months and it will be finished! :o) :o) I'm also eyeing up a Zelda links awakening piece for my third..........

Matt

Fishead2006
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by Fishead2006 »

In terms of 310 with DMC is actually thinner than other colors for some weird reason. I have noticed this with a couple of pieces I’ve worked on. Some fellow stitchers have actually compared it to Anchor and it does appear to physically be thinner. Perhaps it has something to do with the dye method for this particular color not sure. But for future reference if you want a thicker black you could always use Anchor floss for that.

matthewbeetle
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by matthewbeetle »

So.....I thought I would just revisit this thread to say that yesterday I finally finished this project - yey! In all it took me 9 months (Around work) and I don't think it came out too bad! My next plan is to wash it and if the white bits are still there, mount it with dark colored backing which I am hoping will do the trick! Matt
Attachments
IMG_7628.jpg
IMG_7636.jpg

somanytypesofsoup
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by somanytypesofsoup »

This is so cool!!! Your back is AMAZING!! At first glance I totally thought the front was the picture of the pattern and the back was the stitched version. Congrats on the finish!

Moirae
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by Moirae »

It came out great! Congrats on the big finish and thanks for sharing with us.
Best quality photos here, but,for more frequent updates, check out my instagram
https://www.instagram.com/moiraestitches/