Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

skater43 stitches Zelda games

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: skater43 stitches Zelda games

Post by Firehawke »

Yay for being able to move the hoop...you are zooming right along!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Amazing how much faster things go when I'm not making mistakes and having to undo/redo things. :) I"m quite pleased with how this hoop is going as well. Because it's most of Link's face, I thought there might be a lot of color changes and small sections of colors, but there's a surprising amount of large patches. Other than a few stitches at the end, today, for example, was stitching all one color. Two different places, but the same color. Which meant basically a full hour of stitching, rather than having to start and stop, dig around looking for the next color, etc. Link's eye is in this hoop, so that will be several colors of only a couple of stitches each, but his eye is smaller than the wolf's, so it won't be as big a deal as that was. Week and a half to next WIP pic and if we don't finish the hoop by then, it'll only be another couple of days likely to finish up some odds and ends. Being able to devote this summer to this project means we'll be able to get a vast majority of it done and I'm still ballparking the end of October to finish it completely.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Yay for big blocks of color and time devoted to stitching instead of frogging!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Definitely. :) Couple of minor mistakes here and there this hoop, but only a few stitches and ones that were easy to catch and correct, loss of just a few minutes, so no big deals. Have a fair amount of black in this hoop, so do still have some patches, but have been working on the smaller stuff. Rough plan is to spend tomorrow and Friday finishing up all the other colors, the few stitches here and there, then Saturday and maybe Sunday, do all the black and then move the hoop. So we may or may not move the hoop prior to Sunday's WIP pic, but, like last time, there won't be much clean up. Finished Link's eye today and I'm seeing quite a bit of his face coming through. Excited not only to be making such good progress, but also that we'll have something nice/identifiable to look at.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Wasn't sure if I was going to be able to move the hoop before this pic. Turns out, I not only got to move the hoop, I also got to do a day or so of cleaning up threads. So we're a bit ahead of the game. Because there was a surprisingly large amount of solid color, or at least sections where I could stick with one color for most of a day, things came together a lot faster than I expected. I did do an extra 20-30 minutes of stitching this past Thursday to finish up all the colors other than black I wanted to do for that hoop, but we didn't otherwise devote extra time to this. As I said, couple of mistakes along the way, but only a couple of stitches here and there, things that were easily correctable and didn't cost much time.

This hoop was a big deal because we did a significant portion of Link's face, so do have something to look at/can tell what we're seeing. And helps indicate that we are coming to the end. Still a couple of months+ of work to do, but we're getting there. At first glance, I'm actually see quite a bit of black in our current hoop, which means lots of stitching without stopping to change colors. So I fully expect to finish this hoop in the next three weeks, but we'll see. Some of the decoration stuff above the wolf/Link could take a while. But this hoop will finish this column, so that'll be another one down. Because the hoop is round and we're working with a rectangular picture, I expect to need two more columns to finish this, though the last column will be fairly narrow and mostly overlapping the next column we're going to do. Depending on how things line up, I may actually be able to stitch the right edge of the picture in spots, but I think in general, we'll have to move the hoop 6 more times to finish this. End of October is still looking like our completion date, so we're staying on track with that. Not that we have a deadline, but it's good to have a goal, an endpoint in sight.
Attachments
twilight princess WIP 7-17-22 IMG_20220717_092620587.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Yay for being able to move the hoop! Link's face looks great! And yay for staying on track with your crafting goal!!! :clap:

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

:) Thank you. I appreciate your continued support and encouragement. The end is in sight and I'm excited. Been a long project, and other than a couple of the bigger hiccups, I've enjoyed working on it. But it's nice to see things coming together, to see things unfolding so we can tell what we're looking at. I think this is going to be a relatively quick hoop, faster than I first expected. Most of Monday and basically all of yesterday was all one color. Which meant getting a decent amount of stitches done. Big open white space now has a bunch of grey in it. But I'm seeing several other patches and strings of colors here besides the black I'd previously noticed. So, barring any unforeseen incidents, I see little reason we can't finish this hoop and move it before the next WIP pic in three weeks. More than that, some I was stitching yesterday was near the right edge of the hoop. I looked, at that was around column 180. The picture is 200 stitches wide, so that means there's only 20 stitches left to the edge of the picture. Again, we're using a round hoop on a rectangular picture, so I might have to do 4 or 5 hoops to fit the edge of the picture into the hoop. But we're only going to have one more column to go to finish this. Which means finishing faster than I'm expecting? We'll see. Don't think this hoop will be so fast that we finish by the end of the month, but the first few days of August. And then we'll see when I move the hoop to the right, how much of it is done, and how much will still have to be stitched. But I could see each hoop only taking 2 weeks instead of 3 to do for the final column, which would have us finishing early to mid October, rather than the end.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Progress is made, we're on the final lap. Not only able to move the hoop this three week period, but managed to stitch a couple of days in the new spot as well. Made a point of working to the corner so we had a clear visual of where we're going. So, upper right corner of the hoop, that's the upper right corner of the picture. Got a few stitches down the right side, too, to help define our border/show what we have left. As expected, we aren't going have full hoops to do for this column as we work our way down, so I expect maybe closer to two weeks each to do them. Don't think we're going to get many more big patches or stretches of colors, so that'll slow things down some compared to the last couple of hoops, but lack of area needed to fill will counterbalance that. Still have Link's left eye, some of his nose and mouth, but just about all the "picture" part of the picture is done, just filling in background and details and such. Eyeballing things, see us needing four hoops to finish, two weeks each, that would put us at the start of October, which is a little earlier than previous estimates, but we'll see how the next few weeks go. By my records, today marks 42 weeks working on this, so we'll come in around 50 weeks, or not quite a year of actually working on it. Lot to it, few hiccups along the way, but I've enjoyed working on it and seeing it come together over these weeks/months.
Attachments
twilight princess WIP 8-7-22 IMG_20220807_112844687.jpg

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Oh you're well on the way to finishing this! it looks really good! keep at it :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) The end is indeed in sight. However, I do want to keep at my current pace of about an hour a day. Would be nice to finish/finish sooner, but I don't want to get burned out or start rushing and making (more) mistakes. Got an idea for AGDQ 2023 that will take a little longer than usual to stitch (not bigger than any of my other donation projects, but less background/more that has to be stitched), but finishing this the start of October should still give me plenty of time to do that and get it in to be framed. After that, I'll see. I've got patterns for Wind Waker and Minish Cap, but both of those are pretty involved, too (especially Minish Cap). I don't have patterns for Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks yet, but I've done a little looking. So I may spend the next few months as I finish this and AGDQ to look for PH or ST patterns, maybe ones that aren't quite as ambitious as Twilight Princess has been, just to mix things up/a little break from a hardcore picture.