Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

skater43 stitches Zelda games

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: skater43 stitches Zelda games

Post by Firehawke »

You've gotten so much done...it's looking great!!!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) We're getting there. Think I figured we're at 27 weeks now, or about 189 hours. But we're past the halfway point, have the details of the wolf done, have at least started working on Link himself, we're getting there. Lot to do still, but once I finish my SGDQ prize, there shouldn't be any more interruptions for the next few months, so I think that'll be about enough time to finish it. But we'll see. The nice thing about these projects for me is I'm not on a deadline, I want to keep on it daily to keep my place and make progress, but there isn't a feeling of having to do extra to finish it up or anything. Minish Cap and Wind Waker are rather large and elaborate, too, so I'm kinda hoping to come up with/find simpler patterns for Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass, just to break things up/not spend the next 10 years just doing these 5 games. :)

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

And we're back at it and making great progress. With the exception of Thursday this week. Been using three strands per stitch, following the recommendation of the pattern creator. And no issues there. Until Wednesday, when I forgot how to count and started using 4 strands. Which I didn't catch until Thursday. And yes, it makes a difference. Fortunately, I was doing a block of black, so not a lot of colors getting mixed together or anything (on the other hand, had I been switching colors, I wouldn't have done so much with four strands). Still, it took about an hour and a half to undo. And yes, it made a difference. Hanging on a wall, maybe not, but I could definitely tell where I had started going to four strands. So there was a couple of days wasted, but A) these things happen and B) it needed to be fixed. But, we still finished that hoop in the three weeks since we restarted and we're now looking to finish off this column. Finishing this column will put us at roughly the 2/3 mark, so little by little, we're getting there. By my calculations, we've been working on this for 30 weeks now (that's working time. Looks like we started this about mid-August last year, so roughly 9 months ago). So that's just over 200 hours so far, with 100 or so to go? Math things up, that's a little over 14 weeks, so wrapping things up early/mid September seems reasonable. Especially since I don't have any other projects planned in that time, so we can focus solely on this. And that'll time out perfectly with doing whatever we plan to stitch for AGDQ 2023.

But as you can see, we've basically got the wolf done (also attaching what the final picture will look like as a reminder of what we're going for). Just to the up and right of the hoop we see the start of Link himself. Have his ear done and the start of the back of his head. Mid-Juneish to finish this hoop, move right one, I'd say the middle/end of July we'll really start to see his face come together and give us something recognizable to look at like we have for the wolf now. Most of the solid black chunks are done, so we'll be swapping colors more for basically the rest of the project, but at least with this hoop, I'm seeing at least small patches of the same color and not a lot of only one or two stitches of a color. Fair amount of that for Link's ear and I suspect much of his face will be similar, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Attachments
zelda twilight princess.png
twilight princess WIP 5-15-22 IMG_20220515_111833241.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Ooooh...it's looking fantastic!!!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) It's coming along. Last week was a little rough, but we're back on track. One day, I forgot what symbol I was stitching going over a page turn and had to undo 20 or so stitches. And another day, I miscounted a square, so there was a several more stitches to undo. But I took Friday or Saturday off, just to give me a little break and that seems to have helped. Work was really busy the latter half of last week and my sleep schedule got out of whack, so that was likely a factor, too. But, going good the past couple of days, things are filling in nicely. Week and a half to the next WIP pic and not sure if we'll quite finish this hoop by then, but we'll at least have most of it done.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Ooof for having to frog! Hope that work has calmed down and that your sleep schedule is back on track!

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you, yeah, work's calmed down some. Weekends are still hectic, but I'm back to my regular schedule which helps. And since that week, stitching has been clear sailing, so no complaints there.

As you can see, we've moved the hoop again. Two columns to go, though the second one prolly isn't going to be as wide. The pen in the lower right corner is roughly at the 3/4 mark width-wise, just to give an idea of how much we have left to go. Overall, I'd put us at about 2/3 done. 33 weeks of stitch time means we've got about another 16 weeks/4 months to go. Putting us mid-October. Which, if it plays out that way, would time out perfectly for jumping into our AGDQ 2023 prize (couple rough ideas for that, but haven't really put much thought/effort into that yet). Saw quite a bit of color variety for Link's ear and I suspect we'll see more of that as we get up into his face more, so this third might be a little slower than the previous ones, but we'll see. Pleased with the project, and while there have been a few hiccups along the way, we've been able to recover, it looks great overall, so things are going well.

Still waiting on my SGDQ 2022 prize. Got a call from The Artery last week because they were having issues with equipment/supplies. So a bit of a delay, but it happens. I am glad that I got it turned in earlier than expected, though, and that the marathon is the end of this month, rather than the start. I expect the next week or so it should be ready, but don't know for sure.
Attachments
twilight princess WIP 6-5-22 IMG_20220605_113408087.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

It's a good thing that you got it in early! Yay for clear sailing on your stitching!

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

I agree. :) But, that's why I want to give them at least a month lead time, in case stuff goes wrong. But, we got it, got it shipped off, so good to go.

Last few weeks have definitely been good for Twilight Princess. Prolly won't have a new WIP pic on Sunday, but I'll get one the next few days. Going to be moving the hoop tomorrow, prolly near the end of stitching, depending on how today's work goes. But other than some work in the upper right corner, this hoop is done. So progress is being made, one stitch at a time, but we're getting there.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Another three weeks, another hoop finished (just about). There was a dozen or so stitches I wanted to do in the upper right of the hoop before moving it, some individual color stitches just to fill in some holes while I knew where I was. So we did those yesterday, then moved the hoop up. Still working on cleaning up our loose threads/holdovers from previous hoops, but should be able to finish those off tomorrow. Then we begin new stuff in the new hoop. This should be a fun/challenging/rewarding hoop as most of it should be Link's face. We'll have to see how far that extends to the right, so we might not be able to finish him this hoop/column, but we'll be able to do most of him. So next WIP, we should have lots of new stuff to look at, stuff that'll be recognizable, rather than just bunches of colors. I'm guessing, though, that there will be a lot of color changing and subtleties that will make this section more challenging than the solid black of the wolf. Also slower, so we prolly won't finish this hoop in time for our next picture. But that's okay. Just plugging along, one day at a time, one stitch at a time.

SGDQ 2022 is underway https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule. According to the USPS tracking, my prize was delivered this morning about 11:30 (Minnesota time). Which means they should have it now, but didn't have it last night when people could bid for it. They're getting the VODs up, but haven't gotten to when my prize was first available, so not sure how they handled it. They may have just mentioned it as a possible prize or showed a still of the image I sent them or something. And now that they have it, they may have it in the background with other prizes to at least showcase it. We'll see. Regardless, hope whoever ends up with it is pleased and can enjoy hanging it on their wall.
Attachments
twilight princess WIP 6-26-22 IMG_20220626_115240780.jpg