Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Do you like to read light novels?

Anything goes!
Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Do you like to read light novels?

Post by Firehawke »

I tend to read fantasy books...but I also read a number of kids books, so I'm sure some of those may be considered light novels!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

I read quite a mix of fantasy/sci fi and YA/kids books. I'm reading one called the Cadicle Series at the moment, which is a YA space opera and touches on some interesting themes.

Are light novels only Japanese or is it a broader genre?
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

mbiogirlumd
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by mbiogirlumd »

Actually "light novels" can cover not just Japanese writing, but Chinese and Korean as well. I believe the term basically refers to writing that can be serialized or is released in multiple volumes but is one story. They are generally the print version of "webnovels" which publish stories online by individual chapters over time rather than as a complete document. A lot of webnovels are converted to a print Light Novel version if they prove successful or popular online, which is usually measured by traffic. Just like with serialized manga, the author is usually still writing the story at the same time the novels are being published.

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

So its more like the old magazine serials where you get the next installment each issue?

sahrawood
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by sahrawood »

I read a lot and many are amateur but that's probably because they are web novels first and then when they get popular the get turned into light novels.

BadgerSensei
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by BadgerSensei »

I started reading The Rising of the Shield Hero. I liked the anime so much that I wanted to read the books. I couldn't find them online in the original Japanese, so i'm settling for English translations for my Kindle. I miss being able to buy the books in Japan.
Current project:
Epic Pokemon Gen 1 1/30 pages complete

Standby projects:
Ken Ro Kuen
Kinkakuji

mbiogirlumd
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by mbiogirlumd »

For the print versions in Japanese I'm afraid I've got no clue. For the original webnovels in Japanese, a lot of them are on sites that require membership paid or otherwise so again, no clue. But if you are interested in fan translations into English, then Novelupdates.com is definitely one of the best places for listings and also author news in the forums. I'm a bit addicted. :read:

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

I've started reading Ascendance of a Bookworm. I loved the anime and its nice to get the more detailed look at the world.