WoW Fall of Arthas Stained Glass

video game related pattern requests...
cobalitic
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

WoW Fall of Arthas Stained Glass

Post by cobalitic »

I'd love it if somebody could make a PDF pattern of this image:

I'm planning to do it on 18ct aida or an even smaller count, because I predict the size will be enormous due to the detail. I don't really have a constraint as to the size or number of colors. As small/simple as possible while retaining detail, would be my preference, erring on the side of preserving details over simplicity. For example, it's important to me that Illidan (the green, horned/winged figure on the right of the large bottom panel) be quite clearly recognizable.

For those wondering, this is the same, very talented artist who did the LOTR stained glass pieces that were very popular on here a while ago! breath-art on DeviantArt.

ovi.sergiu
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: WoW Fall of Arthas Stained Glass

Post by ovi.sergiu »

Now this is a challenge I like.
I prepared two versions: (please click the images to see them in a full resolution on a new page, and dont judge by the thumbnails. Feel free to zoom and inspect the details you wanted, and let me know if there is needed some retouching)
300x459 18ct 60dmc no-confetti.jpg
300x459 stitches on 18ct fabric, 60 DMC colors, no confetti (18 Count means 42.33w X 64.77h cm the finished stitched piece)

or
400x612 18ct 60dmc no-confetti.jpg
400x612 stitches on 18ct fabric, 60 DMC colors, no confetti (18 Count means 56.44w X 86.36h cm the finished stitched piece)

Tell me which one do you like more, and if you want more colors or bigger dimension.
I would not go below 60 DMC BUT I would want to challenge you (if you are insterested, of course!) to accept stitching a 60 color DMC version BUT with blended colors (let's say 40 solid DMC and 20 blended DMC ones). If you are interested, let me know. If not, no problem :D

Ovi.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignsByOvi
If you like my free patterns, I'll be more than grateful if you consider supporting my Etsy shop.

cobalitic
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by cobalitic »

Wow, these are lovely. I think I prefer the second one, just because it's a bit cleaner on the details. I can see in the smallest parts that the program struggles with the black outlines and smaller stained glass pieces; for example, to take Illidan again, most of his body is one or two purple tones but there is a lot of confetti there. I think that region could be done cleanly with a couple of purple colors and some careful backstitching, but maybe that might be better done by me on the fly than asking you to fiddle with hundred of tiny stitches!

I would be very interested to see a blended color piece, especially if it helps with color matching and cleaning up some of the details! I have a lot of fun with blended threads (I assume a 1:1 blend?) so it wouldn't be a bother for me. Many thanks for taking this on! It looks amazing already.

ovi.sergiu
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by ovi.sergiu »

Yeah, you have good eyes and you are right.
I am glad you're willing to correct manually some imperfections because I do not have time to do that manually.

The blended version was not OK with only 60 colors (40 solids + 20 blended).
Blend = 1 strand of DMC color + 1 strand of another DMC color, so you understand ok this thing.

1. Do you use Pattern Keeper to help you stitch faster using an Android tablet or phone?
2. Do you know CXC threads from China?
3. Do you use crosses xxx when stitching or half of cross (/////) and how many threads 1 or 2 or 3 threads or 4?

I did some more versions, so let me know what do you think:
400x612 18ct 90dmc (40sol+50blends) no-confetti.jpg
400x612 18ct 90dmc (40sol+50blends) no-confetti

400x612 18ct 120dmc (90sol+30blends) no-confetti.jpg
400x612 18ct 120dmc (90sol+30blends) no-confetti

400x612 18ct 120dmc no-confetti.jpg
400x612 18ct 120dmc no-confetti

There are some portions that need retouching (the violet cape has some light spots that makes no sense, etc.) but those are easy to correct.
If you like my free patterns, I'll be more than grateful if you consider supporting my Etsy shop.

sylvanas314
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by sylvanas314 »

Hi ovi,
I'm rather new to stitching and I am a big fan of WoW. I want to stitch this as well as two other with Illidan & Sylvanas on it. but it is a large project and i'm used to work with pdf and color guides. Do you think you have that kind of pattern for 300x459? Though the other is better on detail, i think i'm rather apprentice to go with that.

ovi.sergiu
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by ovi.sergiu »

sylvanas314 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:47 am
Hi ovi,
I'm rather new to stitching and I am a big fan of WoW. I want to stitch this as well as two other with Illidan & Sylvanas on it. but it is a large project and i'm used to work with pdf and color guides. Do you think you have that kind of pattern for 300x459? Though the other is better on detail, i think i'm rather apprentice to go with that.
Hi!
I think I can help you. Please watch this topic and in a couple of day I will attach the PDF for the 300x459 version, with color guides (I am not sure what is a color guide, could you post a picture, please?). :grin:

sylvanas314
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by sylvanas314 »

Thank you so much! I was trying to mention the color legend like shapes and their corresponding dmc floss number. :swoon:
Attachments
legend.PNG

Marilya
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by Marilya »

The issue with converting these is that the images are .jpg rather than .png so there's a lot of bleed on what should be a crisp stained-glass effect. Doesn't look so bad on the actual image but when you convert it, that's when the issues happen. (Tried to convert his WoW maps years ago, started stitching one and gave up when I realised I'd need to do a LOT of work on the pattern to make it make sense :( Maybe one day... )

ovi.sergiu
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by ovi.sergiu »

sylvanas314 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:42 am
Thank you so much! I was trying to mention the color legend like shapes and their corresponding dmc floss number. :swoon:
So sorry, I totally forgot to send you the PDF.
I understand now.
Tomorrow I will post the PDF.

ederetas
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by ederetas »

This is amazing, can you post here the pattern final? I would like to do it too