Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Koholint Island Map Request

video game related pattern requests...
tobebeatrice
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Koholint Island Map Request

Post by tobebeatrice »

I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me out with this. I've wanted to do the classic Gameboy gray scale (green scale?) version of the full map of Koholint Island from Link's Awakening. I know to get the detail, it's going to be crazy big. I call in my pending tapestry project.

The image is attached. And here's a good quality link here: http://www.bliterations.com/wp-content/ ... holint.png

So long as this is under 6 feet on 28 count (yes, I said big) across, I'm fine. Preferably in under 5 colors. I can figure out my own shades of green, so I want a pattern mainly so I have a better tool than Paint to figure this bad boy out.
Attachments
Koholint.jpg
Koholint.jpg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 5383 times

tobebeatrice
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Re: Koholint Island Map Request

Post by tobebeatrice »

Okay, I've been trying to figure out a way to do this on my own, and I'm failing miserably. I am definitely open to suggestions of how to view the image very close so I could to a 1 to 1, pixel to stitch ratio. I'm also willing to pay someone to do it for me, since this pattern is a big ask.

DevilAngelWolf27
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by DevilAngelWolf27 »

Ok, I'm taking a crack at it, and so far it seems like at a minimum there are 8 colors, is that ok?

tobebeatrice
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by tobebeatrice »

That is totally okay. It seems as though the original image has all these subtle extra shades that comprise the primary 4 shades of grey. I've been debating trying to flatten the colors on a pixel by pixel basis, but that's a whole project unto itself.

tobebeatrice
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by tobebeatrice »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a way to get this into a pattern. Volunteers? Advice?

sweaters
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by sweaters »

Maybe try splitting the original picture into quarters the making the pattern for each quarter. That way, when split, you can focus on just one section and still have it be big when put together as one?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

tobebeatrice
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by tobebeatrice »

Do you mean for making the pattern or for the actual stitching? Because, you're totally right of it's the stitching. I'm thinking it might be six when everything is said and done.

sweaters
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by sweaters »

For actually making the pattern. Make separate patterns for each segment you split the picture into. Using only a part of the whole picture at a time will allow you to "zoom" in closer on the details and make sure you're able to get the 1 stich x 1 pixel ratio you were looking for

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Sheepish
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Sheepish »

I feel like someone else on this forum was stitching this a long time ago. I remember because I thought it would be cute to either "Where's Waldo" a gray scale Link onto it, or just have him in full color on the otherwise all gray scale map.

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by blackberrybear »

It's four shades of grey. I have gone through and separated the map into sections, the files on the other computer. When I get the chance I'll upload them. Did you want pdf's or .sth files?