Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

FireKraken Tries to Make Other Stuff!

non video game related projects...
FireKraken
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

FireKraken Tries to Make Other Stuff!

Post by FireKraken »

Hi everyone! While Spritestitch was down, I decided to try my hand at other crafts to see what I would like.

The Michaels by my house just got diamond painting sets. They had a Starry Night set, which i had to instantly grab and work on. I nearly finished it in a week, only a few sections remaining (I'll post a picture soon). It was a lot of fun, but managing the tiny rhinestones with four cats around was a bit of a challenge. They did not like my solution of locking then out of the craft room.

I also really got into miniature painting to use in my Dungeons and Dragons game sessions. I use pokemon figures for the monsters the party fights, but the paint jobs look really bad on most of them. I wanted to fix some of them up and was amazed how they came out.
Spoiler
20180618_220439.jpg
I started with pikachu. The one on the left is what they used to look like and the one on the right was a good model to match
Spoiler
20180619_182550.jpg
The ones on the white paper were the ones I painted, looking way better than before. Only 200+ more pokemon to fix
Spoiler
20180627_152105.jpg
I bought a painting set with figures to try to really learn proper technique. This is the first one I've done, a skeleton archer. He looks so much better than I thought I could manage! I never thought I had any painting skill, but these figures have helped boost my confidence, taught me some great techniques, and were lots of fun to do.

I'll share more pics as I work to fix horrifying pokemon figures and make them recognizable again.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: FireKraken Tries to Make Other Stuff!

Post by Firehawke »

These all look great!!!

Can't wait to see your diamond painting!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

FireKraken
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by FireKraken »

20180705_131030.jpg
It's done! I've been working on it almost nonstop the past two days to finish it up. After staring at it up close for the past 6 hours, it looks stunning being able to step back and take in the whole piece. The light reflecting off of the rhinestones adds a great sparkle that works so well with Starry Night. Now to frame it. Any suggestions on what the best options are to allow the sparkle to show but not too much glare from the glass?

FluffyBunnySlippers
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by FluffyBunnySlippers »

That looks amazing!
FireKraken wrote:Any suggestions on what the best options are to allow the sparkle to show but not too much glare from the glass?
How about a frame with no glass? Maybe something deep, almost shadow box-like.
World's No. 1 Emotional Disaster

https://www.facebook.com/infinitestitchings/

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

FireKraken wrote:Any suggestions on what the best options are to allow the sparkle to show but not too much glare from the glass?
Either what FluffyBunnySlippers said, or...Ikea have started to switch from glass to perspex in many of their frames. Perspex would give you the protection of glass but with less glare (there'd still be a bit but it's way less)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

That looks SO fun...congrats on finishing it!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

FireKraken
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by FireKraken »

Ooo, perspex sounds good. I need something with a cover to stop cat hair from sticking to the sticky backing. Shadow box also sounds really cool. Hmm, new things to keep an eye out for. Thanks for the ideas!