Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Me and my beads

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
BeadedImagination
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Me and my beads

Post by BeadedImagination »

Thought I'd share my video-game inspired art. My medium is beadweaving/looming so it's beads, AND thread, AND needles :D So, yeah. As I said in my intro, when I first discovered this forum and that it was possible to find sprites, I thought that seed beads would be the perfect medium for pixel art. I proceeded to run out and dig a very deep 8 and 16-bit hole for myself. I use #11 Miyuki Delica beads and translate the sprite images into BeadTool. Matching takes the most time, as I have to first match the on-screen colors, and then go through the 971+ bead samples to find the actual color. My first attempt didn't come out too shabby, even though I mixed game art, had black outlines around everything, and it isn't edged, which now that I know how to do, makes it look unfinished. And base-metal findings, which left little green stains on my wrist. I also tend to ramble.
Spoiler
09-21-2011
09-21-2011
2011_9-21_ccmario.JPG (487.39 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
So having had to sacrifice the above work because I wasn't happy with it, I redid it and fixed the colors, findings, and edged it.
Spoiler
05-26-2012
05-26-2012
2012_5-26_marionew.JPG (82.12 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
For a class in my facebook bead looming group, I made this needlecase..
Spoiler
06-23-2012
06-23-2012
2012_6-23_space.JPG (84.54 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
And this was a commission from a friend I graduated high-school with (in 1997). This is my favorite bit of work from the past year, as I learned a lot more about color matching and shading. Finished image first, then pattern translation process.
Spoiler
10-9-2012
10-9-2012
2012_10-9_drewSF2.PNG (270.18 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
Spoiler
10-11-2012
10-11-2012
2012_10-11_SF2.PNG (319.92 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
Have fun looking!
~Steph~
Last edited by BeadedImagination on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: I actually don't know where to put my work! :)

Post by Knittenkitten »

This is so cool! I especially love the Mario bracelet that you made. I've worked with beads before but never had the patience to really try something like this. Good work! :thumbsup: :good:
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

BeadedImagination
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Knittenkitten wrote:This is so cool! I especially love the Mario bracelet that you made. I've worked with beads before but never had the patience to really try something like this. Good work! :thumbsup: :good:
Thank you! It means a lot to me to make these, and it means a great deal more that I can give others pieces of their youth. Which mario? First attempt or redo?
~Steph~

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

I love that Street Fighter piece! You got the colours bang on.
Seed beads are so nice and delicate looking, so it's cool to see them used with images that maybe aren't so delicate ;)
BeadedImagination wrote:I also tend to ramble.
Welcome to Sprite Stitch. :grin:
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

La Ptite Bete
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by La Ptite Bete »

So cool !!! I wish I knew how we can do this.... :good:
My blog
Current cross stitch projects :
None.

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

Those look great! If cross stitching didn't cost me enough money I'd love to learn how to do this! Keep up the good work!

BeadedImagination
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

<pittsburgh>Yinz guys are so nice n'at!</pittsburgh> Seriously, thanks. I'm glad you all like these so much! And this forum was my inspiration to even attempt this kind of work. With all the perler art and stitchery and painting, I figured if I put it in a different medium maybe I'd have a little bit of the gamer art niche to myself :blush:
blackmageheart wrote:I love that Street Fighter piece! You got the colours bang on.
Seed beads are so nice and delicate looking, so it's cool to see them used with images that maybe aren't so delicate ;)
Actually, I second-guessed myself after I got my color order, and swapped out the lighter blue in Bison for one just a tad darker; which I shouldn't have done. It blends in a bit too well. :banghead:
~Steph~

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

BeadedImagination wrote:Actually, I second-guessed myself after I got my color order, and swapped out the lighter blue in Bison for one just a tad darker; which I shouldn't have done. It blends in a bit too well. :banghead:
Ahh, I think I see what you mean now. But eh, it's still awesome! I'll be honest, I was admiring the E.Honda part the most (normally I would go on for ages about Ryu but not today!)

So, any plans for any more game-oriented beading? :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Knittenkitten »

I like them both though I will admit that the sprites seem to "pop" more on your redo.
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

BeadedImagination
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

blackmageheart wrote:So, any plans for any more game-oriented beading? :D
So many sprites, so little time and money. Most of the ones I have, have already been translated into beadtool and color-matched... I have a :tri on deck, it's just waiting for me to figure out what technique I need to use to get it to look right... And I was thinking about joining in on the portrait challenge; it may keep my motivation enabled.. :D
Knittenkitten wrote:I like them both though I will admit that the sprites seem to "pop" more on your redo.
Thanks. I had that particular blue on hand and it's not exactly the sky-blue I need; but when my tax return gets here, look out :cool:
~Steph~