Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Journey Cosplay

Video game craft projects made with MISC supplies...
icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Journey Cosplay

Post by icedragonj »

So, I will be attending the Tokyo Games Show next month! I thought I would take this oportunity to try some cosplay. I know there are many journey fans on this forum, so I thought you would enjoy seeing my progress. It took me a while to get started, as my sewing machine was too heavy to bring to Japan. Luckily the art teacher who I have become friends with was kind enough to loan me hers for a bit. I made sure to get some nice thick good quality red fabric (with some thinner brown for the applique). My idea was to make something that could be worn as a costume, or as a regular(ish) piece of clothing. Because of this it is a bit shorter than it should be for a full costume. Also the scarf is detachable and can be worn seperately as a scarf. There is no hood... partly because I ran out of fabric (I got it in Aus, so hard to get more). I might make one at a later date, but eh. There are a couple of pockets to slip my hands into when I want to spread my wings, or just to keep my phone in.

If you look up other peoples journey costumes, you see that they all use applique to apply the design. While I choose to use applique for the brown, I was adamant from the start that I wanted to hand embroider the gold. Definitely not the easiest, or most time efficient way of doing it, but I am very happy with the results so far. I recently tried a bit of hardinger, and loved the way that the design is on both sides. I want the gold to be seen from both sides, for when I spread my wings, so I am using a similar technique.
early.jpg
early.jpg (105.95 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
gold.jpg
gold.jpg (161.15 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
I am known across campus as "The girl who knits in lectures"

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: Journey Cosplay

Post by TigerLily »

Awesome! I adore Journey. I can't wait to see it all together.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Lovely work so far. Please keep us updated!
Journey is one of the most wonderful games I have ever had the privilege to play. I really must sit down and play it again, but it gets you right in the feels... :)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

Love the look of it so far! I'm starting to get into cosplay a bit more, so I love seeing what other people do. :)
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

That's awesome! I love cosplay, but it's meant I have less time for stitching because of it. ><

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

Thank you for all your kind words! I have been quite busy, so sorry for the lack of updates. The Tokyo Games Show was last weekend and I just managed to get it all done on time (I was literally stitching in the hotel the day before :banghead: ) But it all came together really well. Here it is!
Journey small.jpg
Journey small.jpg (139.32 KiB) Viewed 5904 times
Only a couple of people came up to me and gave compliments or asked for photos, but they have rules about photos only being allowed in certain areas, to reduce congestion, and I didn't stay in that area very long. Also it can be intimidating for Japanese people to approach strangers, particularly those who look like they might not speak Japanese. However, right near the end of the day a guy came up to me and said he worked for That Game Company (the one that created Journey!!!) We took some photos together, he thanked me for coming and helping to promote their game, I told him it was a great game, and then he gave me a T-shirt. :yahoo:

Later I might take some more photos of the costume that show the details and finished product better, but knowing me it might take a while.
I am known across campus as "The girl who knits in lectures"

TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by TigerLily »

icedragonj wrote: However, right near the end of the day a guy came up to me and said he worked for That Game Company (the one that created Journey!!!) We took some photos together, he thanked me for coming and helping to promote their game, I told him it was a great game, and then he gave me a T-shirt. :yahoo:
So jealous!!!

I hope you had a good time. I look forward to seeing more pictures later on. :)

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

TigerLily wrote:
icedragonj wrote: However, right near the end of the day a guy came up to me and said he worked for That Game Company (the one that created Journey!!!) We took some photos together, he thanked me for coming and helping to promote their game, I told him it was a great game, and then he gave me a T-shirt. :yahoo:
That's amazing! Who was it? If it was Jenova Chen, that would be awesome! Of course, meeting any of them would be seriously cool. And so glad your costume was a hit! :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Everything about this is Epic.
Epic costume
Epic sewing skills
Epic story
Epic pictures
Epic meeting

You are an epic person!!

What did the t-shirt he gave you look like?
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Aegidia
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Aegidia »

Super cool costume and a great story! Also, the stitching must have taken you sooo much time, I admire your dedication!